Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont load after partitioning! HELP!?

• Please log in to reply

angrybaby

angrybaby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So heres the story:
Using Gparter, I partitioned my 250 gig HD into 2 separate ones. the HD already had Windows OS on it, but i wanted to dual boot linux. So any way, after partitioning I forgot that I had to make a boot disk (for linux). I re-re-partitioned my HD back into a 250 gig HD, but it won't load up windows!!!! All that happens is that there is a black screen with a white cursor blinking on the upper left hand corner. When I go back into Gparter, it says that the data is there, but it just doesn't want to load. BTW i have an HP computer, and there IS a system restore option, BUT THAT DELETES ALL MY DATA, WHICH I DON'T WANT TO DO!

Please any one who can help, I am desperate!

Advertisements

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
It sounds like you either deleted or wrote over your boot record when you did the second set of partitioning. We can try to fix it, under the assumption that it is the problem, but you'll need a copy of a Windows XP install disk (genuine) that matches the version your computer has on it. Do you have a copy or can you borrow one? Any copy will do.

Also, if a Trusted Tech can think of any other problems he might have, feel free to jump in. It's a pretty classic symptom of a boot record problem, though, angrybaby.

angrybaby

angrybaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I do have one, I'm just awaiting instructions

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
All right, good. Go through these steps then, and hopefully this will resolve the issue:

1) First, boot up your computer with the Gparted disc again. Check to see what file system your hard drive is formatted for. Since you have XP data on there, it should be either NTFS or FAT. Write this down or memorize it.

2) Restart your computer and insert the Windows XP disc. You need to boot from that CD. Once it loads, a menu will appear with several options. Select the Recovery Console, which should be the R key. (If you don't know how to do this, the easiest way is typically to press F12 while your computer is booting up, to display the boot menu. Then choose your CD drive.)

3) The console should ask you to log-in to your Windows installation (most likely listed as number 1). Select the number for your installation, then input your administrative password. If your account is set with Administrator permissions, then use your account password.

4) If your hard drive is set up for NTFS, go to step 5. If it is set up for FAT, run the command fixboot In the Recovery Console, then go to step 5.

5) Run the command fixmbr in the Recovery Console. Once this is finished, use the command exit to restart your computer. Be sure to remove the XP Installation disc once your computer exits the Recovery Console.

If the problem was with your boot sector/MBR, then this should fix it. If your computer still will not boot, then there may be other problems. Please post back after trying this, and let us know if it resolved your problem.

Edited by ThPenguinsRComin, 19 March 2007 - 04:37 PM.