Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME/Microsoft IE 6.0 Problem

• Please log in to reply

John W.

John W.

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a problem Signing Off from my ISP(msn9.0 Dial-Up).
My OS is Windows ME using Microsoft IE 6.0.
When I Sign Off I get a MSN Error Reporting message that "MSN Explorer has experienced an internal error and will have to restart" Viewing technical information about the message I get error signiture information and also a page that shows "Microsoft OnLine Crash Analysis. High priority Updates Available. Install Missing Updates". I have no critical updates which haven't been installed.
I have to restart my computer everytime I sign off from ISP.

I spoke with a tech rep from my ISP and was told, based on information I provided, that my error was located in "Object Linking & Embedding" of Internet Explorer 6.0. They told me to contact my computer manufacturer.

The last Critical Update I installed was KB887797 on 03/25/05.
Also, my Critical Update Installation History shows Updates KB888113 & KB8911711 being installed from Web Site on 03/10/05 and the same Updates being installed via Automatic Update on 03/13/05. Could this cause a problem?

I have AdAware and MSN Spy Sweeper on my computer but neither indicate a problem.

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
You might try running AVG and HJT.

What brand computer do you have? Sounds like it might be a Gateway...

If nothing shows up on any spyware or antivirus program and you are still receiving the errors you might try uninstalling your explorer and reinstalling it.

Others might even suggest a different IE explorer. That decision is up to you though.

Please let me know what you find and what you do so that I might be able to help you better.

Here's the link Link for Downloading MSN Explorer

Edited by Lightninghawk, 05 April 2005 - 09:26 AM.

John W.

John W.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Lightninghawk for the prompt response.

I'm not entirely computer "literate" so please advise me what AVG & HJT reference.
My computer is a Dell Dimension 4100. It is no longer covered by a maintenance agreement.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Sure just go to www.grisoft.com and download the AVG Free Edition.
Install the program --> open the program and it will take you throught the steps.

I'll put a link to HJT (HiJackThis) in this post as soon as I can. I'm at work and limited on time.

Thank You for your patience I hope to help you have your problem resolved as soon as possible

Here's the Link for downloading HiJackThis

Here's the Link for downloading AVG Free Edition

Edited by Lightninghawk, 06 April 2005 - 07:21 AM.