Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card compatability help

• Please log in to reply

Trash man

Trash man

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
i have some questions regarding NVIDIA GeForce cards. do they need to be compatble with the motherbord or something?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Generally there are no compatability problems with Nvidia cards. What i have found is that Using a Nvidia video card on some motherboards that have the ATI 200 on-board chipsets do have conflicts, even if the on-board video has been disabled. To stop this from happening i usually will delete the video drivers for the ATI 200 out of "device manager" before installing the Nvidia drivers.

Years ago you had to uninstall all nvidia drivers out of add/remove programs even if you just switched to a newer Nvidia video card in your computer. I did not do this and ended up with a continiously looping computer. To fix this i went into safe mode and deletedall the video drivers, then reinstalled once i was back in regular mode. A year earlier i did not know what to do and ended up reformatting and reinstalling Windows to fix the same problem on another computer. The Nvidia drivers uninstall old drivers automatically nowadays as the forceware drivers look at the video card to determine what drivers are needed.

SRX660

Trash man

Trash man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i have a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 does it support pixel shading? if not which one does?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Look at this link.
It can do the job but a newer card will be faster.
Google pixel shading and look in the entry's of graphic cards.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a comparison of a Geforce 2-440MX to a geforce 7800 GS.

Geforce 2-440MX
memory max - 64
bandwidth - 2.9 GB/s
Direct X version - 7

Geforce 7800 GS
memory max - 256
Bandwidth - 38.6 GB/s
Direct X version - 9.0c

Just from these it should tell you how much better the 7800 video cards is. It is about 10 times faster. Everything about a newer card will be better. I sold the last computer i installed a Geforce 4-440MX card a couple of years ago. You are really dealing with quite old video capabilities that is not really up to any newer games at all. It may play them but it will not look good.

SRX660

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
while what was said above about compatibility is true in general there is the consideration of what type of slot you have to put the video card into PCI/AGP/PCIe....

Trash man

Trash man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
so what your saying is my vedio card is outdated really bad.. ok so any idea which one i should get like i want to buy some new gameslike fable or thief..... and also how do i know what kind of slot i have? do u get cards compatable with various kinds of slots?

Edited by Trash man, 20 March 2007 - 07:35 PM.