Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply

D Wolnie

D Wolnie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have XP SP2 on a HP a3410 desktop. I normally just log-off instead of powering down after each use, since I have 3 kids that also use the computer. If I do any updates that require a restart, I have been experiencing this problem lately. The computer reboots normally up to the XP logo, then it powers off itself briefly, then reboots again. This keeps going on and on. I can reboot succesfully into safe mode, and I have tried to restore to a past point, but nothing seems to fix it. I have the Media Center Edition preinstalled, and I have read that I can't really do a repair, since the disks I have created (it didn't come with recovery disks) will restore it to factory specs, and I'll loose all data. Can I do a backup in safe mode, then do a restore? When I start using the computer by logging on, it has run properly with no problems. It's only this restart or cold start issue. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Sounds like your power supply may be failing. Common problem with OEM PCs. If the PSU is made by Bestec then it is quite probable.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 19 March 2007 - 09:46 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can backup in safe mode. Move the files to another partition, a usb storage device or burn it to a disk. All will work. Right click Start > explore. Search the data that you want to keep of each and every user.