Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing, Sluggish Computer (logfile attached)

• Please log in to reply

dentist

dentist

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HP Pavilion dv1000 running XP Professional....
...this computer isnt used for much else than QuickBooks, email & internet access. Lately, it has been feezing up & requiring constant restarting (the Blue Screen of Death doesn't even pop up). When running, extremely sluggish...good wireless connection & the internet still takes too long to load....programs take a while to load as well...HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

(& thx in advance for all you help & hard work)

Here's the logfile:

HijackThis logs are not to be posted in any forum other then the Malware Removal Forum. As such I have removed the log from this post.

Edited by Fenor, 19 March 2007 - 02:03 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dentist!

Looks to me like you recently uninstalled Norton Internet Security from your computer and installed Avast!. Looks to me like not all of Norton IS was removed. Please do the following:

--------------------

Before you begin:
This document only applies to the following programs (referred to as "programs supported by SymNRT" for the rest of this document):

Warning The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer. Before you continue, make sure that you have the installation CDs or downloaded installation files for any Norton products that you want to reinstall. Also, if you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases and uninstall those products.

For Windows 2000 or Windows XP
Symantec Norton removal Tool

The full instructions are found here

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Very good advice from Fenor, Norton and AOL are very difficult to uninstall without help. But you might also want to dump the Google Toolbar, at least temporarily, it has called trouble for people in the past.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

But you might also want to dump the Google Toolbar, at least temporarily, it has called trouble for people in the past.

The Google toolbar doesn't cause problems, but rather Google Desktop.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

But you might also want to dump the Google Toolbar, at least temporarily, it has called trouble for people in the past.

The Google toolbar doesn't cause problems, but rather Google Desktop.

That's the one, sorry about that.

dentist

dentist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thx for the advice. I actually ran the symantec removal tool when I removed (or THOUGHT) I removed Norton...should I try running it again?
also, should I (re)post the logfile in the malware forum?
thx again
dentist

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I had a malware expert take a quick peek at your log before I removed it from your post, so lets not have you go to the malware forum just yet. Instead lets take a look at what is running on your computer:

Open up HijackThis. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...On the next screen, click on the Generate StartupList log button and post a copy of the log here. You need not check either of the boxes next to this button.

Let's also take a look at what is installed on your computer:

Again open up HijackThis. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...on the next screen, click on the Open Uninstall Manager button and click on Save List on the next screen. Save it to your desktop so it is easy to find. Once saved, open up the saved file, located on your desktop, and copy and paste everything in it in your next post.

Please make sure that you attach both of the logs that are created to your reply. (Post them as attachments if you can.)
Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 20 March 2007 - 01:11 PM.

dentist

dentist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated. attached is start up list and uninstall list. any advice is helpful as this piece of junk shut down twice again yesterday and once today.

dentist

Attached Files

K Labs

K Labs

• Pip
  • 6 posts
any help that you could give "the dentist" is greatly appreciated (he actually IS my dentist) -
I try helping him out when i can w/ computer advice/help when I can; sent him to geekstogo because I really have NO IDEA what the hecks wrong with this laptop....it's relatively new & he doesn't use it for much else than email, internet & quickbooks. he doesn't even visit any 'naughty' websites....its ironic that someone who uses it for so little has the major problems; we really appreciate all of the help you guys offer to EVERYONE who comes to this site
thx for all of your services
K Labs

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why not start with basics?

Down load ccleaner (a link in my signature). Run the "cleaner" and "issues" few times until nothing is left to be clean. Backup changes to registry when prompted to do so.

Defrag the hard disk

Download and run PageDefrag (a link in my signature). It's a highly recommended microsoft tool that defragements system and page files which are not defragmented by windows defragger.

Run Avast. You have it installed already. Set it to run a "thorough test"

Run Ad-Aware Se. Run a full system scan.

Run Spybot.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well what The Skeptic pointed out wasn't where I wanted to start with things, but go ahead and do them and then post back how things are doing afterwards and we will continue from there.

Fenor

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Regret my interference, fenor.

dentist

dentist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you skeptic, we did what you suggested on Mon, cpu has run fine since then. We just finished with ccleaner this morning and then computer froze awhile later. Any thoughts other than driving over my computer with my car.

Dentist

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know if the freeze is related to ccleaner. There are few programs that are as safe. It never, ever, failed me, and I use it a lot. However, in my previous post I recommended that you backup changes to the registry when prompted to do so by ccleaner. If you backuped you can restore the computer to it's previous state.

Freezing is a problem that can be caused either by software or hardware and quite often is difficult to pinpoint. Please download Everest (link below) run it and click Computer > Sensor. After few seconds a page will open up. Please report temperatures and voltages. Please send only this data and not a full report.

Please download BurnIn test (a link below) and run it. It's a free trial version and enables 15 minutes of free scan. Please run it and report any errors if found. it will give us some idea about the hardware state.

I would reinstall all essential drivers from the computer's manufacturer's internet site (excluding BIOS, do not touch it).

If you have xp cd: Click start > run > type sfc /scannow > ok. You will be asked for xp cd. I hope you have one. If not, try to borrow one. This process essentially restores damaged system files.

We still cannot exlude malware but let's worry about that and other things latter.