Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive causes super slow bootup

• Please log in to reply

Lorddias

Lorddias

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
This is basically the scenario:

I had 2 hard drives, my main, and a slave. One day my slave decided to stop responding. I thought it was dead, so I unplugged it, put it in a box, and buried it under my bed. Then I proceeded to hook up a backup 10 gb slave I got laying around. Little while later I decided to rehook up the dead slave and see if maybe it has its wits together. I decided to hook it up into one of my cd drives since I got a dvd drive since, and I just had a IDE cable open. So I hook it up and.. it works! However.. it makes my pc take a long time to boot. So I unhooked my 10 gb and plugged up my 40 gb slave in its place.. same stuff. So I rehooked up my 10 gb since it now contains valuable data, along with my 40 gb where the old cd drive was once again. And so it still takes forever to boot. Not forever, just like 3 times as long.

I set the bios to where my hard disks were first priority. It loaded slightly faster since the little _ didnt flash for like 30 seconds, but still, windows takes forever to start loading. Once it does its normal, runs fine, but I was just wondering if there was any way to speed this up?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The thing to do is run diagnostics on the drive from a floppy. Go to the drive maker's site and download them to a floppy and run them. A failing hard drive isn't worth messing with unless it has valuable files on it, in that case you want to get them off as soon as possible before it gives up completely.