Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant reinstall XP !

• Please log in to reply

Palmershots

Palmershots

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Picked up an older Gateway Laptop. Worked perfectly for a week. Decided to upgrade windows media player. When it came time to turn off pc. It told me it was installing 60 updates and please not turn off pc. Well after 5 min of waiting I turned it off (prematurely) Big Mistake. Next day I went to use laptop and it goes to desktop and just sits there. No icons or start bar. I was able. Somehow to let it load those 60 upgrades. But when I rebooted. still goes to dead desktop.

Decided to just reinstall xp with original disc that came with pc. after a min or so my screen says.
Setup was unable to verify drive C:
then says your pc may not have enough memory to examine c or disc may have corrupt files. Now Im stuck with a big paper weight.

Thanks,
Doug

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You probably have corrupt files and not enough room left on the disk for the installation files. How much memory does the machine have and can you add to it? How large is the hard drive? You need at least 128mb memory for XP and a 4gb hard drive is about as small as you can use and have room left for files and apps. You can get mobile (lite) versions of most operating systems that fit on older computers just fine.

If you have enough memory and hard disk you can simply format the hard drive and erase everything on it, then you should be able to install.