Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I recently went to connect to the Net but and exclamation mark in a yellow triangle appears over the network connection in the tray. It says that there is no or limited connection.

I updated the drivers on my modem which I am running via usb (even switched to ethernet) and still no luck. There was no conlict in the device manager either.
I called my ISP and he was saying that he could see the connection was active but still I wasn't able to connect. This means I guess that its not the modem that is the problem.

When he ran through the IPconfig via the commnd prompt the ip address was comming up as 0.0.0.0 but there was a correct (different) address via the details tab when you double click on the exclamation mark in the tray.

Please help !!! :-(

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
We'll need a lot more information before anyone can help you. Who is your service provider and what kind of service, dialup or DSL? Is this the first time you've connected to this provider? Are you connected through a router or directly to the modem? Was this connection working before?

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
My service provider is Optus (australia) .. the service is DSL and the modem is directly connected to the PC. I have been using the same ISP and the same account for over 2 years. Just suddenly stopped working. I have not changed/deleted any settings.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The first thing I would check is to make sure that your network login information is correct by reentering it. If that doesn't work open a cmd window and enter

ipconfig /flushdns

If that doesn't work begin suspecting hardware, the modem or the network device. There should be some sort of doagnostic procedure for both, the network card will usually have some kind of diagnostic software on your machine.

The modem may also have a "home page" you can access with your computer.

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Wouldn't the fact that my ISP could see my connection as active suggest that it isn't my modem ??
why would the computer not be able to assign an ip address ?

I will try and use the same connection on my laptop and see if it is the modem.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your modem is a complicated little box and can fail in a number of ways. It is just an interface between your machine and the network and it may work on one side and not the other. Where do you put your network login information in, assuming you need it? It's very common for the login info to be lost, when that happens the DHCP server will not assign an IP to you.

chrisstopher

chrisstopher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks.

I do not imput any log in information. It just connects automatically when I turn the modem on. Wouldn't it give me an different kind of error message like "incorrect log in or password" if this was the case. Sorry I'm not trying to be difficuly or anything.

Is there a way in which I can have a look at the login info ?

Thanks again for your help.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm half a world away and don't know if you even need to log in but many service providers do give you a password and username. Did you set up the connection yourself or did they do it? If they did it they may have put the login information in the modem if it was required. Or the modem itself may be bad, it may be talking to them but not handing you an IP. Do you have the booklet fo the modem? You might want to consult it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try using Control Panel/Network Connection and click on your network. Under one of the tabs (Support?) there should be a Repair buton. See if Windows can repair your connection. There's more info on your modem setup and FAQs at Opus.

HTHs,

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 20 March 2007 - 01:00 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I assume that you have a usb dsl modem (getting power from a usb port). Installing it to another computer for test purposes is a good idea. If it fails on the other computer then the modem is faulty. If it works there but not on the original computer:

1: move the connection to another usb port and try to connect. See if indicator leds work as they should.

2: enter control panel > device manager. See if the drivers show up. I am not sure under what group a dsl modem will show up but you can find it. See if the driver has no question or exclamation mark near it. If there is, the driver should be uninstalled and then reinstalled.

3: Start > cmd > ipconfig /all. Type ping and the ip of the default gateway shown under ipconfig. See if you get 4 packets sent and 4 packets received.

4: If still no good re-establish internet connection: Internet explorer > tools > internet options > connections > setup. A wizard will show up. follow the instructions and use the disk supplied by isp. If you do not succeed, call their technical support for help.

If all this doesn't help then your modem is probably faulty.