Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo/Cpu upgrade problems..

• Please log in to reply

blackjet

blackjet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm upgrading my comp w/ an Asrock 775i65G / E6300 Core2 duo cpu. My problem is this-
Power up comp, and it starts POST. It goes thru mem test, drives, etc. It gets to"NVRAM test... Update OK!"

at this point everything stops. I am not sure if it should test more stuff, or just go to XP boot up at this point. Whichever it should do, it hangs here. I placed my old Mobo/cpu (ECS K7VTA3/AMD Athlon 2200+) back in, and it boots up just fine. Is there something I'm missing? I've fiddled around in the new mobo BIOS trying things that I thought might be the culprit, but to no avail. Maybe I'm just missing something all together. Please help. :whistling:

other hardware: 1.25 GB mem, EVGA nvidia 7600GS 256Mb, Netgear FA311 network card, SB Live! (I know.. very old) Have also tried upgrade w/o audio card, using onboard audio. Still hangs after NVRAM check.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The NT based operating systmes and Linux and Unix, do not like it when you change motherboards. If you're very lucky you may be able to run a repair that changes the chipset drivers and other drivers, and can keep your original OS. But you may end up having to reinstall the OS. If you do it on another (new) hard drive then you can use File and Settings transfer wizard to reinstall much of what you had before but your old system will need to be working for a while to do that.

blackjet

blackjet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply Tyger. :whistling:

I guess I will have to pick up another HD, and do a fresh XP install. Probably time to do one anyways. Any recommendations on drives, or are they pretty much comparable. I'm leaning towards Seagate in the 200-250gb range. What do you think? Also should I step up to SATA from the PATA my old mobo supported? Thanks again for the help

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Hard drives don't differ much in quality with different brands. SATA is definatly the way to go these days. It will keep your computer cooler by not having another big IDE cable and it is also faster.