Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wininet Dll error

• Please log in to reply

ohwhoknows

ohwhoknows

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am running on Windows me. Been having issues with explorer recently. I would close out browser pages and everything would freeze. A few days ago I opened explorer and it makes a click sound like I'm click to go to a page and an error message pops up saying Explorer caused and error in Wininet. dll. It then freezed my computer and I had to reboot. Not only in explorer but my system disk scan program and yahoo im. Same error message. I am able to open netscape and sometimes it errors but mostly it's been ok. I went into add/remove and fixed errors in explorer but the error message still pops up and computer freezes. I'm clueless as to what to do any help appriciated.

Edited by ohwhoknows, 20 March 2007 - 05:11 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243713

ohwhoknows

ohwhoknows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I started to do this and it said Explorer caused error in Kernel32 now.

The link says this:
Reboot your computer. Press and hold down F8 while the computer boots to display the Startup menu.
6. Choose Command Prompt Only, and then press ENTER

There is no option on F8 on my comp that says Command prompt only. Only safe mode, boottext? Forgot other 2 but no Command Prompt.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would start looking into two possibilities, a failing hard drive or malware. Another less likely is faulty memory. If you can, go to the hard drive maker's site and download diagnostics to a floppy and run it.

ohwhoknows

ohwhoknows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My cd rom is burnt out. I know my hard drive isn't failing. I did however get infected with a packet of trojans and viruses. I think it has something to do with that. I cleaned it out the best that I could but it seems to do something funky to my system every 6 months since. It opens up new programs I just had to go through my system to clean it out again 6 months ago. The explorer problem happen right after but was dealable until now.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm not running ME anymore but I know that there is something the equivalent of System File Checker that you can run to replace missing files, but for some stupid reason Microsoft gave it another name which I can't recall. Hopefully somone else who reads this thread will know, or you might want to check your help file, just hit the F1 key when Windows is up.

ohwhoknows

ohwhoknows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I found a link where you type in run and msconfig but has no file checker?
Called System configuration utility. This site shows a whole different screen shot http://help.expedien...neral/sfc.shtml

Through here it let me click on system restore (tried under tools and it errored) however there is now no restore points. nice.

ohwhoknows

ohwhoknows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yay. Fixed it I think. My dos is not f8 that it states on the link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243713
That's why I was confused. It's in my accessories. Thanks pip for the link and everyone elses input.