Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing operating system? Gateway 9300

• Please log in to reply

CurtK

CurtK

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,
I have a laptop that has not been used for a while and is going to become more of a back-up computer for our home use. It worked fine with WIN 98 but had a bunch of files on it we didn’t need. I thought I would try to load XP on it for an operating system. It wasn’t until after I had tried that I found out on the Gateway website that XP was not supported on this model.

It seemed to load XP normal and then when I tried to restart the computer, it wouldn’t start up. I tried to load WIN 98 2nd edition from an original CD as well as a floppy that was made when computer was purchased. No luck. Here is what I am allowed to do:

Gateway screen shows, then the (Press F2 for changes), I can go through the Bios and all that and make changes. I have been able to enter just about all DOS commands at the prompt. However I am unable to use (SYS C:) I get the following error: (Bad command, invalid entry) Computer runs Scandisk/all and shows no problems.

I was able to create a primary DOS partition but when I try to format the Hard Drive I get the following message after about 20%. (INVALID MEDIA OR TRACK 0 BAD -DISK UNUSEABLE) or I get this when trying to format through WIN 98 disk setup. Formatting hard drive, (Trying to recover allocation unit) then (an error was detected while formatting your primary hard disk partition)

Now when I try to start up, I almost always get (Missing operating system) and in order to get to a DOS prompt I have to press F2 at the startup or change from floppy to CD start up.

This computer seemed to work fine before I got my hands on it so I am sort of ruling out hardware problems and leaning more toward the fact that something got erased or an incorrect BIOS is entered. I know just enough about it to get myself in trouble. I am ready to take it to the local PC Clinic but thought I would try this first. Any help would be great.

-Gateway Solo Pro 9300

-Pentium III, 500 MHz, 128 MB RAM

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That is generally a sign that the drive or disk controller is defective, but that is too much of coincidence for me.

DO you know who made the drive? Seagate? WD? Maxtor?

CurtK

CurtK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for responding gerry,

As far as the drive goes, I think everything on it is original from Gateway 1999.The only thing I see that has any type of namebrand on it is the DVD-ROM drive.(Teac DV-25E)

Does this help?

CurtK

CurtK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Update...

After taking a minute to remove two screws and pulling the hard disk drive, I see it is in fact a HITACHI (DK23AA-12) with a Gateway cover on it. Hope this helps.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, it should

http://www.hitachigs...rt/download.htm

Go to the above site, download the DFT tool and run the diagnostic tool

I think it will test OK on circuitry and say you've got a boot sector issue or suggest a lowlevel format.

This is NOT something people should just do for giggles (I cannot wait for the next PM from someone who thinks that if a format is good, a lowlevel format is better).

But, run it and see what it reveals

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Curt,

An astute fellow techie pointed out to me that you are handling/coming in contact with hardware (harddrive, motherboard).

It is always wise to discharge any electrostatic build up from your body before handling such delicate equipment.

Ideally, an electrostatics wristband that grounds you is preferred, but for people who don't deal with this often, you should ground yourself by
simply touching the case of your computer or some other metal thing, like a file cabinet, with both hands before you start playing around with your computer.

Note: in your case, I would not touch the metal in your laptop unless itis plugged in...you may not ground with a laptop on battary.

CurtK

CurtK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, we've got good news...and bad news... The good news is this was a very helpfull tool in this situation. The bad news is I have tested to have a defective device/component.

I guess I did something to cause this as it worked fine before attempting an install.

I ran the quick test and advanced test. Did the erase disk+erase boot sector.

Program came up with a failure code 0X75 (TRC 7571F537)

Unless Hitachi has a lifetime warranty on drives, I guess I have to pick up a new drive. I notice that Ebay has a whole bunch of drives for this Gateway although I don't know what a good price should be.Any suggestions?

Another thing I noticed is that according to Gateways site, Windows XP is not supported for the Solo 9300 although there are some 9300 laptops for sale on Ebay with XP installed. ??? Any idea how?

Thanks for the program, worked great!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
circuit board failure....well, nasty coincidence, but at least nothing you did would create this problem.

Here's the hitachi warranty site

hitachi

CurtK

CurtK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
After contacting Hitachi I received the following response:

Thank you for contacting Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.

From looking at the model number I can tell that your drive is out of
warranty. All the DK23AA drives warranties have expired at this time. Most
of the Hitachi’s legacy products were sold as OEM, (original equipment
manufactures), drives and carry no Hitachi warranty. When OEM’s purchase
drives, they purchase all warranty rights, and there is no pass through
warranty.

For the few drives that were sold into the distribution channel we will
typically ask for a proof of purchase, unfortunately in this case, due to
the age of the drive, that is not an option. A full explanation of our
warranty policy can be found at the following link:

http://www.hitachigs...nty/english.htm

There is a company called Peripheral Repair Corporation (PRC) may be able
to provide repair service for you. Keep in mind that it may cost more to
repair the drive then to just replace it. They can be reached at:

www.drive-experts.com

I guess it's time to hunt for a drive?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
guess so...since you've nothing to lose, did you try a low-level format?

The reason I ask is that it is just a darned coincidence....

CurtK

CurtK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No, I didn't.(at least I don't think I did) Is this something I would do with the DFT tool? I am still learning a lot as I go. Could you descibe process or point me in a direction?

Thanks for all your help by the way! -Curt

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the tool allows it, but i have not used that specific tool

Restores drive fitness
Note: these utilities will overwrite customer data and allow repair of bad sectors.
Erase Bootsector utility (use DFT Utility option: Erase Boot Sector)
Low-level format utility (use DFT Utility option: Erase Disk)

Not sure how it is accessed

If that fails, I still have one more idea

The coincidence is....annoying.

the 0x75 error seems to be a general error....

CurtK

CurtK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Good News! A good friend of mine (an IT guy...) gave me a Hitachi 20GB drive to put in my laptop.

Drum roll please.................. It works and loaded Windows 98 problem free.

Go figure??? Thanks again,I like the DFT tool!

This leads me to another question I mentioned earlier.(I am new to this site so please let me know if I should start a new post for this one...)

According to Gateways website, Windows XP is not supported for the Solo Pro 9300 although there are some 9300 laptops for sale on Ebay with XP installed. ??? Any idea how?

-Curt

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you sure that those are gateway 9300 computers.

Dell now makes a 9300 model

And, just because Gateway says it does not support it, does not mean it will not work. It means they will not support XP on the machine....meaning, they will not issue drivers for your system, answer questions, etc

If you can find suitable drivers (or Windows XP has suitable drivers included), there is no reason it will not run provided it meets minimum XP requirements:

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Top of page
Additional Items or Services Required to Use Certain Windows XP Features
• For Internet access:

• Some Internet functionality may require Internet access, a Microsoft .NET Passport account, and payment of a separate fee to a service provider; local and/or long-distance telephone toll charges may apply 

• 14.4 kilobits per second (Kbps) or higher-speed modem

• For networking:

• Network adapter appropriate for the type of local-area, wide-area, wireless, or home network you wish to connect to, and access to an appropriate network infrastructure; access to third-party networks may require additional charges

• For instant messaging, voice and videoconferencing, and application sharing, both parties need:

• Microsoft .NET Passport account and Internet access or Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server instant messaging account and network access (some configurations may require download of additional components)

• For voice and videoconferencing, both parties also need:

• 33.6 Kbps or higher-speed modem, or a network connection

• Microphone and sound card with speakers or headset

• For videoconferencing, both parties also need:

• Video conferencing camera

• Windows XP

• For application sharing, both parties also need:

• 33.6 Kbps or higher-speed modem, or a network connection

• Windows XP

• For remote assistance:

• Both parties must be running Windows XP and be connected by a network

• For remote desktop:

• A Windows 95 or later–based computer, and the two machines must be connected by a network

• For sound:

• Sound card and speakers or headphones

• For DVD video playback:

• DVD drive and DVD decoder card or DVD decoder software

• 8 MB of video RAM

• For Windows Movie Maker:

• Video capture feature requires appropriate digital or analog video capture device 

• 400 MHz or higher processor for digital video camera capture

Now, those are minimums....Windows XP runs like a dog on that system

CurtK

CurtK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks gerryf, This helps!

-Curt