Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with hosting?

• Please log in to reply

cathie0104

cathie0104

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi can anyone help please? I wrote my own website in html called www.aweldegbullmastiffs.co.uk I have now bought a few domain names that i want to link to my site i bought them from 123 reg and have done pages on their instantsite builder with a link to my site i click on publish and its says it is published but when i put in my domain name ie bullmastiffpuppieswales.co.uk in google it cant find it. What am i doing wrong? do i need a ftp site? if so which one?? sorry for all the ???'s. Thanks

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Registering a site does NOT put it in Google...

If you want your site on Google you will need to have a solid SEO (Search Engine Optimization) plan of action or you will need to pay their premium price to have it added.

Your question is a bit ambiguous, but I am also getting the feeling you are typing in the domain name and nothing is happening? If that is the case most likely the nameservers have not resolved to the proper IP yet or you enter the wrong information when you registered the names. I would go back and double check all the nameserver settings.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You will also have to put links to you various variations of you site url into links to your site. Other wise Google will never find them.

Google does not just magically find links. They have to be some where. I personally would rather direct the money spent on the extra domain names into better forms of promoting a site like an ad program.

Edited by Michael, 21 March 2007 - 02:03 AM.

wolftone

wolftone

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hey Cathie

Definitely going to need more info than that. How many domain names have you registered and are they all pointing properly to your main site? Google will eventually pick up your site, but you will need to go there and submit a URL manually.

I agree with thenotch in that of you are serious about search engine submission, get a plan of action, and decide what you want to do as far as the search engines go. It is getting increasingly more difficult to get seen in the search engine this day and age without paying a premium, but there are other ways.

I have checked your website in the browser, and it is ok as far as the internet recognizing it, but getting onto Google is the least of your problems here. Your picture files are way to large and take a little time to load up. You need to optimize them for the web, which means getting a piece of software that allows you to save them for the web so that they load fast.

PhotoShop does this, or you can search on google for a graphics software to do this.

Beautiful dogs by the way.

Hope this helps you out

Blessings

Martin

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I noticed the same thing that wolftone did, that your image files are way too large and take a long time to load, even on DSL. This is not an uncommon thing on home made sites, and a lot of dog sites are home made. You can use Irfanview www.irfanview.com to resize your images, it's free and is excellent. You can do a batch resize resample of all of them. Also your pictures will look better if their aspect ratio is retained. Here is one that I resized with Irfanview. It's only 5% as large as the original but still has high quality.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tess_20sunny_20couch2.jpg

Edited by Tyger, 21 March 2007 - 02:14 PM.

cathie0104

cathie0104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks SO much for your help guys. Yes I thought the pics where too big i'll go on that site now and resize them all! Just one more thing...... Who is best for hosting?? for free as i don't work cos of my arthritis and my lovely big dogs seem to have hollow legs!!!! Cheers again.

cathie0104

cathie0104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have bought a few sites from 123 reg they are
bullmastiffpuppieswales.co.uk
bullmastiffpuppies.co.uk
boxerpuppieswales.co.uk

in the hope that if someone puts into a search engine "bullmastiff puppies in wales" then my page will pop up and then redirect them to my site aweldegbullmastiffs.co.uk cos i was thinking that not many people will know the name of my site and if they just do a search for bullmastiffs or puppies in wales then i would appear? don't know if this is right(hope so now i've bought the names) Thanks

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Its a good investment for the $20 it costs you each year. However, remember that the content on your site and the tags you use are far more important to the search engines than your domain name.

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
This will give you good start on SEO information.

http://en.wikipedia....ne_optimization