Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install SP2 update for XP

• Please log in to reply

tanchik

tanchik

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I am looking for help in determining the reason behind the error I get when trying to isntall SP2 update. The message says that drvmain.sdb file is in use by another application, yet not other applications are running.

Let me know if there is any other information that might be needed to help me resolve this.

TIA.
Tanya

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You could try booting into safe mode and installing SP2. Another possible fix is to boot normally but 'close process' for all instances of 'svchost.exe' (task manager, processes) then try installing SP2.

tanchik

tanchik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your quick reply!

I tried both. but no luck.

In the case of killing svchost.exe - with the first one I killed, the message came up that windows is shutting down, as that process is needed for it to run.

In Safe mode, I couldn't get the update started. After the microsoft process was done checking my computer for updates, it displayed a message saying that the page could not be displayed because an error was encountered.

I am guessing that I have a virus that prevents me from getting this update, and I have posted the hijackthis log file in the appropriate forum. But I am not sure what needs to be resolved first - the virus(s) or SP2 update?

Thanks again.
Tanya

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Wait until you are considered clean in your HJT thread, then come back to this thread for further help if SP2 doesn't install.