Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My wireless keeps disconnecting - DG834GT

• Please log in to reply

thamsborg

thamsborg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Guys,

I recently changed from UK Online 8Mbit to Sky Broadband 16Mbit and have only had trouble since. With UK Online i could check my bandwidth online to 7.2Mbit or so and now with SKY same test same laptop nothing changed - it shows 1.3Mbit on a good day. However, when i cut the wireless and use the provided cable, the test shows 3.7Mbit connection - WHY IS IT 3X AS FAST WHEN I USE THE CABLE VS WIRELESS???? WHY IS IT SLOWER WHEN I PAY FOR TWICE THE SPEED (Sky has now bought UK Online)

Anyway, thats one of the issues which Sky only states that i have 15.3Mbit when they test it from their side, hmmmmm!!!

On top, they provided a Netgear router ~DG834GT~ and it keeps disconnecting randomly. when it happens, i can see all the other routers around me apart from mine and i cannot log-on to the settings. With UK Online i used another Netgear router and i could easily connect to it with my pda, mobile etc - with the new one - its very difficult and rarely successful. Sky has so far not been helpful at all and i am just puzzled why its so slow when tested and why it disconnects. Bearing in mind that i have two laptops and it cuts out on both of them and its slow on both of them!!

What i have done so far!!!
- I changed the channel from 1 to 6 which made it more stable but it now disconnects for longer but less frequently. It now runs on channel 11 which is the last option. Sky's advice as i had a wireless phone.
- I have ensured that I use the main socket from BT and i have changed the filter or the divider (phone and ADSL) name???

I need some serious help - besides, what a great forum!!!!

Thamsborg

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I think they probably just test as far as the router's Internet side. You may have a bad router or at least a crappy wireless section of it since it behaves better when cabled. I was able to use my first wireless router while I sat outside. I have another one that gives me fits from 20 ft away. If you have a crappy connection, your bandwidth will be crappy as well.