Hi, skrueger. Welcome to Geeks to Go!
Please bear with me while I try to gather some additional information on your situation.
1. How long has this been a problem on your computer?
2. If the help files ever worked properly, can you think of anything that might have happened between then and now?
3. Are you logging into Windows with the same user account you've always used?
4. Have you had a virus recently?
5. Did the installation of Office go awry at any point? Try Detect and Repair from inside any of the Office apps, on the Help menu. If that doesn't do it, open Add/Remove Program, highlight Microsoft Office, click Change, then Add/Remove Features, Choose Advanced Features. Expand any of the Office apps and verify that Help is solid white. It would probably be a good idea to just click on the top level Microsoft Office and choose "Run all from my computer". This will install everything locally.
6. For IE6, did you perhaps try to upgrade to IE7, then downgrade? See this link
that explains how to manually reinstall IE6.
Please post the results.