Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to access IE 6 HELP contents

• Please log in to reply

skrueger

skrueger

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I go into IE 6, goto to menu option Help, then Contents and Index, I get an Action Canceled msg in the right-hand window pane of the Help window.
Also, under the Contents tab when I select and actual help topic located under one of the "book" icons I get the msg "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" in the right-hand window pane.
I see the same errors in all of my MS Office 2003 apps whenever I try to access the HELP topics.
How do I resovle this issue and what would have caused this.
Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, skrueger. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please bear with me while I try to gather some additional information on your situation.
1. How long has this been a problem on your computer?

2. If the help files ever worked properly, can you think of anything that might have happened between then and now?

3. Are you logging into Windows with the same user account you've always used?

4. Have you had a virus recently?

5. Did the installation of Office go awry at any point? Try Detect and Repair from inside any of the Office apps, on the Help menu. If that doesn't do it, open Add/Remove Program, highlight Microsoft Office, click Change, then Add/Remove Features, Choose Advanced Features. Expand any of the Office apps and verify that Help is solid white. It would probably be a good idea to just click on the top level Microsoft Office and choose "Run all from my computer". This will install everything locally.

6. For IE6, did you perhaps try to upgrade to IE7, then downgrade? See this link that explains how to manually reinstall IE6.

Please post the results.

skrueger

skrueger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1. The problem has been around for a long time.
2. HELP files never worked
3. I only use one user account
4. No virus activity or problems
5. I will try these steps and post results.
6. I don't have the option to go to IE 7 at this time.

Thanks.

skrueger

skrueger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ran the Detect and Repair, but this didn't change anything.
I also checked to make sure that Help was installed and shown in "white" under the Advanced Options within Add/Remove Programs.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. Use the link I provided to manually reinstall IE6 to see if that helps it. The link lists two different things - running SFC and installing the .inf file again.

For Office, did you go ahead and change the install to "Run all from my computer"?

skrueger

skrueger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
For Office, I did make the "Run" change.
I'll take a look at the IE6 reinstall link.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The next step for Office is an uninstall/reinstall.