Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some email not coming through

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Please help me.

My company has our email hosted through another company. We use Outlook Express to access our email, though the email host does also provide web access.

Prior to Monday, 3/12/2007, all of our emails were being sent and received without a problem. During the weekend of 3/9/2007 to 3/11/2007, our email host updated something on their end (they sent a notice out saying they were going to do this). I'm not really sure what they did, but now we have a different interface when we access our email through the web site, and I'm pretty sure they beefed up their junk email filter too.

Anyway, beginging on 3/12/2007, we now have certain problems with our email. Emails without attachments go through fine, but we experienced emails with certain attachments would not go through. I narrowed it down to only emails that have a ZIP file attached which contained a file with the CBK extension will not go through. Weird thing is, if I were to send a CBK file directly attached to the email instead of zipped, it will go through fine. Only when it's inside of a ZIP file does it not go through. ZIP files that do not have a CBK file in them come through fine.

Another weird thing...sometimes these types of emails that aren't coming through, will come through, but 99% of the time they don't.

So I called our email host, and they told us that they don't see any emails not coming through. I've been on the phone with them every day for over a week, and they swear the problem is not on their end.

Now everyone that is experiencing this problem works at different locations. It's not any one computer or any one Internet connection that is having this problem. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why these emails aren't going through. If our email host isn't seeing these emails being directed somewhere else, then the emails aren't even getting that far. What else could be the problem? Please, someone help!

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like their junk filter or virus engine is catching those files...alot of junk/virus filters for mail treat zipped files in a "guilty untill proven innocent" kind of way (that's how my system at work is set up...intentionally) there may be something about their scanning engine that doesn't like the CBK files being zipped...what that is i couldn't tell you...but this is almost surely an isue on their end...and probably with their filters

do you have any access to the functionality of their junk mail filters? or is it one of those deals where they do what they want and you live with it?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for the response, Dsenette.

When I log into the web access to check email, they have junk email options listed there. I've already tried turning them off, but still experience the problem.

Even though I agree that the problem is most likely related to junk/virus filters, why isn't the email host seeing these emails being diverted? Also, when I log into web access for the email, I do see a junk email folder, but none of the emails in there are the ones that aren't coming through. they all seem to be legitimate junk email.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's never fun to suggest such a thing but...there's a possibility that the person on the other end of the phone has no idea what he/she is talking about...by the description of the problems you're having...it sounds HIGHLY unlikely that the issue is anywhere but on their end...there's a possibility that it might be on your end..if all computers involved have the same exact settings, same protection software, etc...