Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstalling Windows, without a Windows CD

• Please log in to reply

Volattile

Volattile

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have an Acer TravelMate C210 tablet PC, and I want to reformat it for the following reasons:

a) It came partitioned into two drives, which I don't like.
b) I installed one of the Vista release candidates on one of the partitions, and although I've since removed it, it still shows up as an option when I boot.

Under Disk Management, I have three partitions; a 45GB partition (C:), a 45GB "logical drive" and a 3GB partition called PQSERVICE. "Delete partition" and "Format" are both greyed out when I right click on any of them.

So...how can I reformat? Do I need to create a bootable Windows XP disk (a la this guide and boot from it?

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
This is a feature added by most manufacturees today one partition is to reinstall the OS. This is so they can cut cost by not having the OS CDs bundled in with the computer. To be honest you might aswell by a new copy of XP there getting cheaper now cause of Vista being released. Then you wont get all the crappy installed software with it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There's nothing to stop you borrowing an XP CD from a friend and using the license on the bottom of your laptop to ripe out all the partitions and reinstall XP on one big partition. The bootable floppy route is designed only for (older) systems that can't boot off the XP CD - most computers made in the last eight years or so can do this anyway, but the method you've linked to is worth a try.

Bear in mind that the drive's been partitioned in such a way for a reason and that by ripping out the PQSERVICE partition usually means you will loose all pre-installed software such as Word, etc which you rarely get disks for on OEM machines such as these.

Volattile

Volattile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

There's nothing to stop you borrowing an XP CD from a friend and using the license on the bottom of your laptop to ripe out all the partitions and reinstall XP on one big partition.

Would it matter what version of XP is on the disk? Like I said, I have Tablet PC edition, but I have an XP Home Edition disk lying around somewhere.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you taken a look inside the PQ partition? You may find all the installation files you need there. Also it's likely that neither XP or Vista will let you format the Vista partition but you may be able to download a CD image from the disk maker's site that will let you do it. If it's the last partition on the drive you may be able to delete it and put a new partition in that can be formatted.

As for the option of booting, that may be just a matter of editing a file, the boot.ini if it's booting from the C: drive.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

There's nothing to stop you borrowing an XP CD from a friend and using the license on the bottom of your laptop to ripe out all the partitions and reinstall XP on one big partition.

Would it matter what version of XP is on the disk? Like I said, I have Tablet PC edition, but I have an XP Home Edition disk lying around somewhere.

No you cannot use a WinXP Home disk on that laptop using your key. In fact Tablet PC is based on XP Pro with some additional features. You should use the recovery partition to reinstall.

http://www.winsupers...xp_tabletpc.asp

Edited by Whiskeyman, 21 March 2007 - 08:08 AM.