Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant 100% CPU

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have a fairly new laptop. It has a 1.8 ghz core duo processor, 1 gig of RAM. Recently, it seems that the processor is always running at 100% everytime I check the task manager, and programs are really slow to load. I have done several spyware scans, and they all came back saying I was clean. It seems that this all started when I ran iTunes and Nero at the same time. Any ideas on how I can fix this, short of a factory restore?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What processes are running at nearly 100%? In System Information you have a list of every process running and not just the .exe files that you see in the Task Manaager.

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
It changes. When I'm in Word, Word is using 99%. When I'm typing in MSN Messenger, its at 99%. When I'm not doing anything, it says system idle has 94%, yet the indicator bar stays solid green and things remain slow.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Perhaps Sysinternals free Process Explorer will reveal more information: http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx (Download link at bottom of page.) Like Taskmanager, if you choose CPU Time as one of your choices from View>Select Columns, and then click the column header, the processes will sort into order by how much time they have been accessing the processor. This may at least reveal whether there is a software process involved. Please also note the usage for "Interrupts." If high, it may be indicative of a hardware problem.

Delphi51

Delphi51

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for that link, Doc. Process Explorer looks useful.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Are you by any chance running Trend Micro Anti Virus and FireFox???

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Thanks for all your help, but things were so bad, I did a format/reinstall last night, and now things are fine.