Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KO'd by the KVM switch

• Please log in to reply

mpiotro

mpiotro

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an IO Gear KVM Switch (PS2) which I am attempting to connect to 2 pcs. One pc has PS2 ports with Windows 2000 O/S, and the other PC is a newer Dell running XP with no PS2 ports, just usb. I do have a dynex PS2 to USB adaptor, so everything is connecting, but I am not able to get the USB Dell working. Specifically, the problem is the keyboard, the mouse is working fine. I have a suspicion that there is a setting somewhere in XP that I need to change...any ideas?

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Will the keyboard work (with KVM) when you first boot so that you can get into the BIOS? If not, the problem is before Windows starts and not a Windows issue. Reconnect the keyboard directly and check BIOS settings. Post the BIOS type and version here if you'd like and someone can find what settings might do it. Or you could just Google with your BIOS info and see what you get.

mpiotro

mpiotro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply....The keyboard (via the KVM switch) will not work when booting up. Whenenver I hit F2 (startup) or F12(boot), the operating system restarts. If I keep hitting F2 or F12 (when prompted), the PC will keep on restarting. Weird, it seems to "recognize" a key stroke, but does not carry out the command for the keystroke.
Of course, when a keyboard is plugged in directly, I am able to access the setup. The bios is version 2.1.0. I'm not sure how I can post all of the settings from it. I did notice something called "fast boot" was set to On, not sure if this has any impact. Any other suggestions??

-Mike

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I was checking some BIOS settings today and noticed that there were settings for "allow usb keyboard". I believe it was under advanced/peripherals or PCI.