Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Network Cable Unplugged Error

• Please log in to reply

sloth88

sloth88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
We have a Gateway 4100 running WIN XP connecting to the LAN via cat5 cable and a minihub. It just started not connecting to the network. I've checked the cable and hub and both are fine. In device manager the NIC said it wasn't working properly. I uninstalled, reinstalled it, and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Now device mgr. says the NIC is fine, but every 2-3 seconds an error message appears in the system tray: "LAN:A Network Cable is Unplugged". It will go away and the LAN icon will look normal and say it is enabled, but it jumps right back to the error message. Any idea what's going on?
Also, I did a system restore to a good configuration, but no luck.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
"I've checked the cable and hub and both are fine."

Did you swap them out?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Just because they show up in DM does not mean they are working fine.

I would be willing to bet you have a faulty NIC.

If it is an on-board NIC there isn't much you can do other than install a second NIC. If it is a expansion slot NIC then do the same, swap it out and see if you get the same errors.