Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows installer 3.1 fails to install.

• Please log in to reply

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, recently my Windows XP SP2 crashed and had to repair it using my OEM disk. Well I got it up and running but now I am having a problem updating. Every time I check for updates it tells me I need Windows installer 3.1. So I tell it to install, but it then tells me it failed to install and that I need to restart my computer. I do so, and it repeats the whole process over again telling me I need to restart my computer. I have done this 4 times now with no end. I checked my add/remove programs list and I know for a fact I had it before my Windows XP crashed, and it's not there anymore after the repair. Have tried system restores, but they don't help. And I can't seem to get around this. As always help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It might work better to download and save Windows Installer 3.1 and run it offline. It is available here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en Validation will be required.

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wow, I was so frustrated about all this and I forgot all about downloading it and installing it offline. Thanks for the reply, now my computer is up and running fully updated.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Cool Beans! :-)