Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Stuck in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

CAHummingbird

CAHummingbird

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:blink: Problem started with freezing cursor. Ran full system scans of Norton Anti-virus, Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware, AVG Anti-Spyware, Super Antispyware, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster and Panda Active Scan Pro. Somewhere along the line, I got into Safe Mode and can't get out of it. I tried to go back to a restore point. Doesn't work.

I've got the XP-CD. When I rebooted with it in the drive, I still end up in safe mode (I can get on the internet but after a while, the cursor freezes.) What do I have to do to boot from the CD so I can run the repair?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! :whistling:

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
This can sometimes be the result of a change in msconfig. When it opens to the "General" tab, is "Normal Startup" marked?

CAHummingbird

CAHummingbird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes it is.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
In my msconfig, everything under the SYSTEM.INI and the WIN.INI is checked. Nothing is checked under theBOOT.INI.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you wish to repair xp follow the instruction from this link. Make sure that your cd drive has first priority on bootup (setup in the bios).

CAHummingbird

CAHummingbird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm back in normal mode and everything seems to be running fine.

:whistling: :blink:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.