Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq QuickRestore fails XP SP1

• Please log in to reply

oscarq

oscarq

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well i tried to search to see if a previous topic had already covered this, but i couldnt find one. My problem is that i recently did a fresh install of Windows XP SP1, with the Operating System CD that came with my laptop. When i went to load the Compaq Factory presets with the QuickRestore System Recovery CD, i get an error message after selecting the Language, and acknowledging the Warning: Continuing will destroy all contents on hard drive. I get the message at/or about 10% of running the first disc out of 4. The message being;
Error #1701
The DELETE ALL command failed to delete all partitions on the drive.

There is only one partition on the drive, I reinstalled windows a second time in case there was something wrong with the previous install and i still get the same message. The discs are not scratched or dirty. I previously had done this install about a year ago and it worked fine then. I also contacted HP and they said i need a new hard drive, but if i am able to delete and create new partitions with the Operating Sys CD, i wonder if replacing the drive would be necessary. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If HP/Compaq say you need a new hard disk, I would be tempted to take their word for it, based on the symptoms you have described.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is it possible that you have a hidden file containing recovery data and you are being warned not to delete it?

Why2 disks? I thought that it's either you have a recovery partition or a recovery disk or an oem xp cd which contains all the drivers and specs required by Compac. Frankly, most computers sold where I live are generic and you buy os seperately to install on the computer. Far better approach, in my opinion. I am not too familiar with this recovery disks but it looks strange to me that you have to run both windows disk and then recovery.

Any way, I doubt if there is a problem with your HD. If you don't succeed with the recovery you may be able to download all necessary drivers from Compac. Please write down the exact model of your laptop and we'll try to help.

oscarq

oscarq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Compaq Presario 906US, AMD 1.3G X86-based, 512Mb Ram, no floppy but just a cd-rw drive. Reason i think its not the hard drive thats bad, is because i am able to remove and install Windows XP at any time, i am just not able to do the install of the QuickRestore which has all the programs that came on it from the factory.