Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound in xp or volume icon

• Please log in to reply

joechip

joechip

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello people, have an annoying problem - i have no volume icon in the taskbar and none of the Windows sounds i.e startup jingle, game sounds. Also and more annoying is that i cant stream audio - youtube, myspace etc.
CDs play fine through itunes etc as do DVDs.

Have tried many things, usually am quite good at sorting out problems but this has me stumped.
Have tried ticking the box, system restore, replacing sndvol.exe file thing in system32, Microsoft site, nothing worked.

I do not have an XP startup disc so not sure i can replace the drivers if i delete them
In device manager, nothing seems amiss - no yellow exclamation marks. Says device is working properly.

My soundcard is ESS Maestro2E , running windows XP on a Compaq Armada M700 Laptop.

Have just downloaded Everest but not sure how to read it - can post a log on here if need be.

Any help with this would be very cool

thanks
J

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check that the speaker jack-plug is plugged into the correct jack on the sound-card (SPKR-OUT). If still no joy, it's not unknown for sound-cards to fail (esp cheaper or lesser known ones). Windows would not necessarily show this failure in Device Manager since it gets its info from the driver (which is okay as far as Windows is concerned).

I would be tempted to change the sound-card, preferably for an industry-standard Creative SoundBlaster one. Don't forget to remove the old driver before installing the new one.

Edited by pip22, 21 March 2007 - 02:34 AM.

joechip

joechip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No problem with the speakers, itunes is still working. does that mean soundcard is ok?

Other icons on the task bar have disappeared also, so maybe its not a soundcard issue. It has me baffled.

Have just tried uninstalling it then reinstalling new driver off Compaq website but this did nothing new.

If it is a new soundcard i need, does that mean i have to open up my laptop and change something or can i just download one?

joechip

joechip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have it sorted now, i think it was a problem with codecs not installed properly.
if anyone has same problem i did - download K Lite Codec Pack (google, youll find it)

thanks for all yr suggestions people