Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2000

• Please log in to reply

thoot12

thoot12

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
It shows messages in the inbox, but when I click on it I get the message ( Unable to display folder, errors have been detected in c:\ bla..bla \outlook\outlook.pst) Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the inbox repair tool....

But that does not fix it...Ran it several times....

Trey

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, thoot12.

1. Am I correct in assuming you can not open Outlook at this point?

2. Do you also need to retrieve data from the old PST file, such as Contacts, Inbox, Calendar, etc.?

If the answer to #1 is yes, let's remove your current PST file from your mail profiles. Go to Control Panel, Mail, Data Files. Do you see your problem file listed there? If so, take note of the file name and location, then highlight it and click Remove. This does not delete your file, just removes it from your profile. Now, try to open Outlook. It should open and create a new, empty PST file.

If the answer to #2 is yes, let's try to open your old PST file so we can move all the items back into their places. In Outlook click File, Open, Outlook Data File. Browse to your old PST file. Hopefully, it's not so corrupted that it won't just open. If it opens, go into each folder, Calendar for instance, click the Edit menu, Select All. This should highlight all the items. Then click Edit menu again, Copy to Folder. When the Outlook folder list comes up, highlight the new folder and click OK.

Please post the results.

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Outlook will open, I can see messages in my inbox, When I click to see them is when I error up... I cannot open the pst file..

Trey

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Alright. Did you attempt the things I suggested?

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Have not tried #1 yet...Would you like me to do so?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, please do both, then post back the results. And you did run SCANPST.EXE on your PST file?

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Have not tried scanpst.exe, Not sure where to run that one, also in cntrol panel-mail isee no option for data files...This is a xp pro os...

Trey

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Scanpst.exe is the Inbox Repair Tool. Under Office XP, it's located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033. I think it's the same for Office 2000. If you can't find it, do a Search for it. This may fix the problem.

*LindaGail is keeping her fingers crossed

If that doesn't repair your PST file, I'll track down additional information for Office 2000 data files.

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
allright I found Scanpst.exe and it cured it...
Thanks so much

Trey

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Good deal :whistling: