Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003 receiled email time stamp one hour early

• Please log in to reply

thebucs

thebucs

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
hello all,
since the new DST has gone into effect, I have been experiencing a odd problem on a windows 2000 server sp4 running Outlook 2003 sp2 in a windows exchange 2003 environment.

the issue is that when I receive an email, weather it is sent from internal or external email account, the received email time stamp reflects a one hour difference between the system clock (real time). I.e system clock says it 1200, the email time stamp says it was received at 1100. I have also verified that if I send myself an email from my internal account on the affected computer, the time stamp on the sent email shows 1200 and the time stamp on the received email shows 1100. I have verified that this computer is the only one on the network that is experiencing this issue, it is also the only windows 2000 server machine on the network.

even though Microsoft released a patch for XP and 2003 server for the DST issue, I could not find one for 2000 server. I did, however, find instructions on how to manually edit the registry to reflect the DST change, and I edited the registry for the DST changes with success. I also ran the tzmove.exe for windows 2000 server to move the outlook calendar appointments to the correct date, but still the received time stamp issue still exist.

please help, not critical, just anoying as he!!. :whistling:
thanks for your help,
brian

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there was the .reg from MS as well as a vbs script to run

Set objSh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'Get the StandardName key of the current time zone
szStandardName = objSh.RegRead("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\StandardName")

'Enumerate the subkeys in the time zone database
const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
Set objReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")
szTzsKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones"
objReg.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, szTzsKeyPath, arrTzSubKeys

'Step through the time zones to find the matching Standard Name
szTzKey = "<Unknown>"
For Each subkey In arrTzSubKeys
	If (objSh.RegRead("HKLM\" & szTzsKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\Std") = szStandardName) Then
		'Found matching StandardName, now store this time zone key name
		szTzKey = subkey
	End If
Next 

If szTzKey = "<Unknown>" Then
	   'Write entry to the Application event log stating that the update has failed to execute
	   objSh.LogEvent 1, "DST 2007 Registry Update and Refresh failed to execute on this computer.  Time zones failed to enumerate properly or matching time zone not found."
	   Wscript.Quit 0
End If

'Launch control.exe to refresh time zone information using the TZ key name obtained above 
objSh.Run "control.exe timedate.cpl,,/Z" & szTzKey

'Get current display name of refreshed time zone
szCurrDispName = objSh.RegRead("HKLM\" & szTzsKeyPath & "\" & szTzKey & "\Display")

'Write entry to the Application event log stating that the update has executed
objSh.LogEvent 4, "DST 2007 Registry Update and Refresh has been executed on this computer." & chr(13) & chr(10) & chr(13) & chr(10) & "Current time zone is: " & szCurrDispName & "."
put that code in a txt file and save it as refreshTZinfo.vbs then open a run box or command prompt and type cscript <path to the vbs file>\refreshTZinfo.vbs

thebucs

thebucs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thank you for the fast reply, unfortunatley it didnt work. i create dthe .vbs, then ran cscript (path to vbs) and rebooted machine. sent test email to myself from my internal account, and still the received time is one hour before the sent and the system time(real time)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i also assume you've applied NOT ONLY the DST patch for 2003 server...but also the DST patch for exchange?

thebucs

thebucs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
yes, and all other machines on the network took the patches and work fine. when i send an email to someone else weather internal or external the time stamp they receive is correct

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a very large hammer?

wish the gub'ment would quit monkeying with stuff that has no purpose...

recap:
windows domain with multiple machines
one server running 2000 and office 2003
exchange 2003
all machines BUT this one are correct right?
system time on the 2000 machine are right...time stamps on mail aren't

thebucs

thebucs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no hammer, but brother was a combat engineer in army, maybe some c4 :blink:
maybe not the gub'ment but the aliens getting revenge for what the trunk monkeys did to them
yes mixture of nt and 2003 servers
xp pro workstations with exception of the one with the issue which is winodws 2000 server
exhange 2003
all systems go except the broked one
system time is correct, and oh by the way, yes auto adjust for dst is set in windows and in the outlook calendar settings :whistling:

thebucs

thebucs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
P.S.
i also just noticed that if i view a email in a public folder it shows the incorrect time on the timestamp, but when you look at that email at someone elses pc the time stamp is correct

thebucs

thebucs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
p.s. again. i also have the same issue when i am veiwing email using microsoft outlook web access?!? :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm sorry to leave you hanging but i've got no ideas on this one...

thebucs

thebucs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
is ok, i appreciate your help. a microsoft discussion group has pretty much said the same thing. i am surrendering to the power of microsoft, i give up :whistling: , and will live with the time stamp issue. will be interested in seeing what happens when april gets here and we approch the date when dst was supposed to kick any like it normally does.
thanks again,
:blink:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe indeed...

thebucs

thebucs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
just an update

dsenette,
once the normal date for DST came around, everything fixed itself. all is good now. just cant figure out why Microsoft had since 2005 to develope a patch for 2000 server the way they did for xp and newer, and yet they didnt, they let the 7 year rule take affect, no longer offer real support for 2000 server as of jan 2007 and of course the new DST kicks in and breaks things. :blink: but anyhow before i start ranting about Microsoft, all is fine now, and thanks for all your help with this issue and past issues.
cheers
:whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..i'm glad time took it's course and fixed this issue...just be prepared for it to happen again later this year when the time changes back...and again next year...and so on...