Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinkpad problem, harddrive, motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

rrschmitz

rrschmitz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Forum,

So my IBM Thinkpad T43 has started acting very strangely to the point of being worthless. There are several issues and symptoms but I don't know what hardware is failing so I'm hoping you can give me some advice.

Heres my story,
Problems began when restarting and coming out of hibernation was taking a very long time, it seemed like the CPU was maxing out to 99% constantly and the harddrive light would be working all the time. Then the mouse started 'snagging' thats the best way I can describe it, if I would move the cursor from one side to the other, it would stop for a second or two midway. Then the mouse snags started getting longer, and I instinctively went for the CTRL-ALT-DEL to see if the RAM or CPU was maxed or what, but I found that when I pushed CTRL-ALT(before the DEL) the mouse would wake up again. So I started punching CTRL-ALT whenever this would happen and I relaxed a bit. Then of course the mouse hangs got longer, sometimes functionality would never return. I also realized it wasn't CTRL-ALT that was waking the system up it was the coincidence that those two keys were right above the harddrive, so I found out tapping or putting a little weight over the harddrive became more effective in keeping the system going(of course I realize hitting the harddrive is a terrible idea, but I was desperate). Another strange thing was a week later I got a warning that my one of my usb devices was having a power surge and had to be shut down, but I didn't have anything plugged into any of my usb's.

So this is where I am now. The system is constantly freezing sometimes coming back, sometimes not. The usb drives no longer work. Also, sometimes Windows doesn't load when I restart until I try a couple times.

I ran PC-Doctor on everything I could think of, Harddrive, motherboard, usb, ram, cpu, but all tests are passing.

Can anyone please help?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You should probably go to the malware forum and get that pc cleaned up.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well you could figure out what brand of hard drive you have and try running the software that they provide on there website.( not all companies do but it's worth a look ) you could also try a memory tester like memtest86....