Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

so many problems (all at once)

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi there, im new to this site, so hello to everyone

basically i have quite a serious issue with my home pc, these are the specs of my pc nothing to write home about

windows xp home editon sp2
480mb ram
120gig hard drive

and thats about all i know sorry

basically i turned the pc on and it was going very very slow loading up the desktop so my mate went to start,run, and got something up that stopped all these programs starting up when i turn my pc on and because it was going slow we couldnt press apply to that

so i decided to restart my pc so i held down the power button so it turned the pc off when i restarted the pc thats when all the problems began

1.the computer loaded up fine but the bit where start menu is and all that at the bottom is grey like windows 98 or something, and so are all the windows boxes,

2. all network connections have dissapeared and when i try to add a new one it just doesnt appear afterwads,

3.when i click help and support it comes up with error message (windows cant open help and support because a system service is not running)

4.there is no sound when i try to play a song it says something about devices or soemthing

5. every single device as dissapeared in device manger not one just a blank white page

6. for some strange reason limewire on my desktop has turned into one of them pictures when it doesnt know what program to open it with

7. msn messenger doesnt work

8, as u can gather firefox and internet dont work

9. i tried to go to system restore but there are no restore dates, restore is turned on and alwyas has been as i used it only about 1 week ago and worked fine, so i cant restore my pc to any date

10, even though i have a legit copy of windows i do not have a xp disk but i do not want to format my harddrive because i have a lot of valuble pictures and stuff on here,

dont know if this is realevent but my mate playes conuter strike and he download a file called dom3d he says it for counter strike but when i first turned the pc when it was going slow i remember my virus thing saying it had found a virus and the doom3d file was infected i tried to delete this file from the registry but it goes then comes back

11.on my anti virus (free from netwrok provider ) that still works but when it loads it says it can not load the anti vruis thing i can do everything else on the program but no look for virus because the option has gone, but i did do a scan for spyware and deleted everything that come up

sorry this is so long, i just wanted to get everything out in detail so someone might have a clue

thanks for reading this if anybody can help i would be very thankful, also my computer knowledge is not very vast so if anybody does have any answer could you please write them in say simple terms lol

thanks very much again

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Very likely your friend messed with msconfig which can be used to set what programs run at start up. Just type msconfig in the Run box and hit OK and you can see what's going on. Some processes only run for a while at startup, others run all the time, others yet only run when you call upon them.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
but he only changed the start up programs like pop up blockers and stuff like that,

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
It looks like a serious problem and you need to do a clean install of Windows XP. Be sure for reformat.