Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me!

• Please log in to reply

doggy

doggy

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi

I need to learn how to upload files to a folder on my a linux server from my desktop. I tried wget command but that only works for files hosted somehere. I have all the files on my computer and it takes very long to do that through FTP

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Do you have physical access to the Linux box and a flash drive? That would be the quick and easy way. Next step would be to copy to a CD or DVD.

You can also use SSH.

http://groups.haas.b.../howdoi/ssh.asp

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you're trying to move a bunch of small files via FTP zip them into a single large file. It takes one second per file for most FTPs, that will eliminate that delay.

doggy

doggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well the linux server is un USA I am in UK I have about 6G of data that i need to upload. :whistling: I was thinking there would eb an way same as wget command that is to retrive data from an http or ftp sourse.

Edited by doggy, 21 March 2007 - 03:13 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
No matter what kind of client or server you use it will involve TCP/IP and use just about the same amount of time. It's not the client or server but the size of the pipe that will matter here. Follow my advice about the small files if you can unzip them at the destination, assuming you need to, and just use FTP. I don't know if the server has a resumable server running but coreftplite is a client that supports resume and pause. One big advantage of FTP is that you can just set it up and let it run. Always use the binary mode for FTP unless you are uploading text.

doggy

doggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks everyone for your replys. That is what i am doing now Tyger I guess it is the best thing.

Thanks again