Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wga Validation Tool (kb892130) Vs Notification (kb905474) -- Need Both

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have automatic updates off and go to the Windows Update site myself to do updates once a month. I have a genuine copy of XP SP2 on my computer.

I downloaded the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) on Feb. 4 and have been able to download Windows Critical Updates, etc. by going to the Windows Update site. However, now it's telling me to download Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) -- and that's a different name. This new thing is a program that I have to agree to licensing stuff and allow info to be sent to Microsoft and it says that it can never be removed, etc. This apparently is an update from last year, I believe.

1. So why am I only now being prompted to download the NOTIFICATION update (which is the one that has all the agreements, can't be removed, etc. etc.), if I was prompted and able to download the VALIDATION TOOL back in Feb.?

2. I believe I had to download the VALIDATION TOOL back in Feb. in order to continue to get critical updates, etc. and the updates for this month all popped up, as far as I know. One of them was this Windows Genuine Advantage NOTIFICATION (KB905474). If I already have the VALIDATION TOOL, do I need to install this NOTIFICATION thing as well to continue to be able to download Windows Updates?

2a. If that's the case, then why did it not come up back in Feb. and why did I not need it prior to now to continue to get updates?

2b. If I don't install it, will I not be able to get Windows Updates in the future?

3. I noticed that in the license agreement that it says you may need the Windows Genuine Advantage VALIDATION TOOL in order to get Windows Critical Updates, and that it comes as part of this Windows Genuine Advantage NOTIFICATION program. But I already have the VALIDATION TOOL from Feb., right? So why would I need to install this NOTIFICATION program to get it?

It doesn't really say you need the NOTIFICATION program to get updates, just the VALIDATION TOOL. And since the NOTIFICATION (KB905474) is from last year and the VALIDATION TOOL I have from Feb. is more recent, how could the NOTIFICATION have something I'd need to get critical updates?

I hope those questions make sense! :whistling: I'm really hoping to get specific answers and not just "it's safe, install it", so I can understand all of this, including what's necessary and what's not. Thanks!

I'm really confused about this. As of now, I did download it, but when the box came up to agree to it installing and all that crap about it sending info to Microsoft and not being able to uninstall, etc., I just canceled out of it. So Windows Update shows it as downloaded and "ready to install" for me as of now...

Any thoughts/help is appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi bloomcounty!

Microsoft has released multiple versions of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool to help the fight against piracy. They have to keep implementing stronger measures because people keep finding a way to get past the security that is in place. This tool is safe and is necessary for you to continue getting support for Windows, including downloading/installing updates and get technical support from Microsoft. If you want to learn more about it, you can check out the site HERE.

Fenor

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Microsoft has released multiple versions of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool to help the fight against piracy. They have to keep implementing stronger measures because people keep finding a way to get past the security that is in place. This tool is safe and is necessary for you to continue getting support for Windows, including downloading/installing updates and get technical support from Microsoft. If you want to learn more about it, you can check out the site HERE.

Thanks for the post, Fenor!

I understand what you're saying, but I'm still wondering about the specific answers to my questions above (and that link doesn't provide them). If you don't mind taking a look and seeing if you know the answers, that would be great! Thanks! :whistling:

(Is KB905474 new? It looks like it came out last year. But I already have a VALIDATION TOOL from Feb. Wouldn't that be newer? Why would it only be asking me to install this older NOTIFICATION program now after the fact? How could I have installed the VALIDATION TOOL prior to being asked to install the NOTIFICATION big program thing with the license agreement, et. al.?)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
KB905474 was originally created last year but it has been updated since then, but still shows that it was created last year. Basically anything Windows tells you to download through Windows Update or when you try to download an application/file from their website, you will need to have the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool installed to show that your version of Windows is legit. That answers all your questions in a nutshell. Either you download and install what Microsoft asks you to install, or you don't get anything from them.

Fenor

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

KB905474 was originally created last year but it has been updated since then, but still shows that it was created last year. Basically anything Windows tells you to download through Windows Update or when you try to download an application/file from their website, you will need to have the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool installed to show that your version of Windows is legit. That answers all your questions in a nutshell. Either you download and install what Microsoft asks you to install, or you don't get anything from them.

Thanks for the reply.

I've heard that if you turn on Automatic Updates and set it to notify but not install, that you can still get Critical Updates that way, even without installing the WGA Notification Tool. Is this true? Or will nothing ever come through that way if you don't have the newest WGA?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The newest WGA will be installed automatically if you have Automatic Updates turned on.

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

The newest WGA will be installed automatically if you have Automatic Updates turned on.

Thanks for the post.

Even if you have it set to NOTIFY and *not* INSTALL AUTOMATICALLY? Wouldn't it just notify you of the new WGA -- and then you could choose to not install it and even hide it at that point. And if that's true, then would the AUTOMATIC UPDATES, still set to NOTIFY ONLY, just *no longer* inform you of critical updates?

For some reason, I thought I read that you could still get critical updates this way, without installing the big WGA program. But I'm not sure, so that's why I ask the experts here! :whistling:

Thanks for the help!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you don't install it, you won't be able to get any updates from Microsoft. It is REQUIRED to be installed to get any updates from Microsoft.

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

If you don't install it, you won't be able to get any updates from Microsoft. It is REQUIRED to be installed to get any updates from Microsoft.

This is NOT correct, unless I'm misunderstanding something?

http://www.microsoft...nloads/FAQ.aspx

Q: What if a customer does not want the WGA Notification application as part of their Automatic Updates? Can customers remove the WGA Notifications permanently?
A: During the opt-in phase, users who have AU turned on will be invited to participate through an opt-in process. Only users who choose to participate will have WGA Notifications installed on their machines. Once installed, WGA Notifications becomes a permanent part of user’s Windows XP system, and cannot be uninstalled. However, participants will have the option to suppress all the notifications for some length of time. Users will not have the option of uninstalling WGA Notifications. Users who fail validation will be taken to a Web page with a prominent option to license genuine Windows.

Q: What is the difference between WGA Validation Tool and WGA Notifications?
A: WGA Validation determines whether the copy of Windows XP installed on a PC is genuine and licensed. WGA Validation was launched worldwide in July 2005. It is required for any download on Windows Update, Microsoft Update and the Download Center.

WGA Notifications is software that is distributed through Automatic Updates that reminds users who fail validation that they are not running genuine Windows and directs them to resources to learn more about the benefits of using genuine Windows software. WGA Notifications is currently not required to use Automatic Updates.

Q: Will users of non-genuine Windows be blocked from receiving security updates?
A: No. Regardless of genuine status, users will not be denied access to critical security updates. Users who have not validated their computers as genuine, however, will not be able to install many updates, including Internet Explorer 7.0 and Windows Defender. Microsoft strongly recommends that users of non-genuine systems correct their problem immediately.

-----------

Me: Therefore, if you set your Automatic Updates to "notify only" and just ignore this update, you'll continue to get your critical updates. Actually, it even sounds like you can still get critical updates from Windows Update directly, from that last answer, as I'd think that would apply to genuine users, eh?

My Questions:

1. So can you, Fenor, or someone tell me how I can get rid of the downloaded uninstalled files for this? As of now, it's downloaded, but when the box came up to agree to it installing and all that crap about it sending info to Microsoft and not being able to uninstall, etc., I just canceled out of it. So Windows Update site shows it as downloaded and "ready to install" for me as of now...

1a. Is there a way to easily get these uninstalled files off my computer?

1b. In doing so, will the Windows Update site recognize that they're no longer there and go back to listing it as something that needs to be downloaded and installed?

2. If I can't delete the uninstalled files, when I turn on Automatic Updates, but before I get the chance to change the settings to "Notify only", will my computer start installing these downloaded files automatically?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 22 March 2007 - 05:04 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
As I told you at BC quit worrying and install it. it doesn't take up much room or use any resources. As long as your XP install is legit you have nothing to be worried about.

-TT75-

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

As I told you at BC quit worrying and install it. it doesn't take up much room or use any resources. As long as your XP install is legit you have nothing to be worried about.

If you read the faq, unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like it periodically checks... even if you are legit. (???) If true, personally, I don't like that... Nor do I like that it assigns your computer an ID #. I mean, you're the "Windows Terrorist", right? :whistling: You can't like the idea of that!

I did a search and read some issues of false-negatives, that people with legitimate versions of Windows were deemed illegal copies and their whole system was messed up and they had to reinstall Windows. If I had to do that, I'd be totally screwed, so that's why I'm hesitant. Hope that makes sense.

And I noticed that it says you can temporarily disable it after its installed, but just not remove it permanently. Why would this even be possible there's no chance of it causing problems if you're legit?

If you see stuff to the contrary in the faq, please let me know. Thanks!

Oh, and I PM'ed you about that java stuff over there... no dice yet, but I had a thought. Let me know when you get a chance -- thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 22 March 2007 - 05:12 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, this is getting out of hand here. You bought Microsoft's product. They can make you download anything they want (legally of course, which EVERYTHING is) and there is nothing you can do about it. You either abide by their rules or you don't use their product. This topic is now closed.

Fenor