Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

back up restore from W 98

• Please log in to reply

Erics2go

Erics2go

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have some back up data from W 98 Backup ending with a *.qic and am unable to access/restore it from WXP, any suggestions?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
QIC is the file extension for the Backup file format associated with Windows 98 (Quarter-Inch Cartridge Drive Standards).

Ron

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something you could try is copy it to a folder, so that you are not using the original file, change the file extension to .tar which is Tape Archive, and see if you can access it with Winrar or a similar program. It's just a shot in the dark but it would be interesting to know if it would work.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry for incomplete reply. Power outage. Might find this useful:

QEMU PC Emulator Page
. From page:

Potential Uses for QEMU
As well as running vintage operating systems such as DOS/GEM/CP/M MacOS or whatever, QEMU provides the ideal environment for rapid developement of ISO-bootable recovery operating systems. Also, Win98 backup can access/restore from QIC files.

The Ntbackup tool recognizes tapes that you create with Msbackup only if you did not use software compression during the creation of the backup. This occurs because Ntbackup does not recognize the software compression format that Msbackup uses.

Ntbackup does not recognize .qic files that you create with Msbackup even if the files were created without software compression. This occurs because Ntbackup is designed to recognize only the .bkf file format and not the .qic format that is used by Msbackup.

Ntbackup's ability to recognize tapes that were created with Msbackup is a feature exclusive to the Windows XP version of Ntbackup. Backup tapes created by Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me) use the QIC113 format and can be identified by looking at the Identification label Type in Removable Storage Manager (RSM). The Windows NT and Windows 2000 versions of Ntbackup do not recognize or support tapes using the QIC113 format.

To resolve this behavior, restore the data from the tape or file by using Msbackup on a computer that is running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me. See: Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool

Might try the trial version of this: "Orlogix BackUp My PC" Works on both win98SE and Win XP.

HTHs,

Ron

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
How Do I Open QIC Backup Files In XP

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

How Do I Open QIC Backup Files In XP

That's ignoring all the information in post #4.

Ron