Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

updating to internet explorer 7.0

• Please log in to reply

cjryan

cjryan

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
About 2 months ago, I was prompted to update from IE6 to IE7. Since that time, I have had multiple problems. One of the issues is that most videos won't run on sites such as MSNBC, and quicktime also won't run. I was getting frustrated so I downloaded mozilla firefox and many of the problems were corrected, except for the video/quicktime. Is there a way for me to go back to IE6 AND completely eliminate IE7?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, add and remove, tick show updates, it is listed a windows internet explorer 7, remove any IE7 updates as well, it will revert to IE6

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, restart the PC

Run Microsoft Update to check for IE6 updates, untick IE7 if it is offered

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

cjryan

cjryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you Keith. Now before I do this...should I? Or should I try to work with the IE7? Or give up with IE and stick with Mozilla. I use my computer for documents, email and research...and feel lost when I get into these types of issues. For instance...since I switched to IE7 it says "Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons All Internet Explorer add-ons, such as ActiveX controls or toolbars, are turned off. Some webpages might not display correctly.
To continue to your home page, click the Home button. To browse using add-ons, close Internet Explorer and then start it again. " What the heck is an add-on and can I or should I turn these back on? If so how?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, advanced, click reset.

cjryan

cjryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hmmm. That really didn't do anthing...guess I've never changed the settings? What was that for? I'm still wondering if I should try to work with the IE7, go back to IE6 or give up with IE and stick with Mozilla.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would uninstall it and re-install it

Let it change the homepage, change location setting, change home page back

cjryan

cjryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just to clarify...I should uninstall IE7 and reinstall? And stick with it over Mozilla?

Edited by cjryan, 25 March 2007 - 07:49 PM.

cjryan

cjryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
We just uninstalled ie7.0 and went back to IE 6. I would love to hear what everyone thinks about IE vs. Mozilla.

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

We just uninstalled ie7.0 and went back to IE 6. I would love to hear what everyone thinks about IE vs. Mozilla.

Mozilla rocks