Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SM Bus Controller and Raid Controller

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Ok, I found today when I tried to install XP Pro on my Dell, that when I was in the middle of starting the process to install the OS I got a Blue Screen with an Error Message. The Tech at Dell told me that it was a Raid Controller for my Dell that I needed to install, that they put on their Disks. He would not help me further but said I would most likely have to Buy any Operating System I wanted to install From Dell, because the Drivers are on their Disks. I have a 500 GB Western Digital SATA Drive in the Machine. Does anyone know where I can get the Drivers?

Also in The hardware Device Manager I have a Device called the SM Bus Controller. Does Anyone have an idea what this is and how I can fix it? I can't seem to work it out. Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The drivers you require are for the chipset on the motherboard. If the motherboard is custom made for Dell (usually is) then only Dell can supply the drivers for it. If you know the make/model of your Dell PC you may find the drivers on the Dell website.
http://support.euro....c...k=ln&lnki=0

Edited by pip22, 22 March 2007 - 01:28 AM.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks, I found a Driver that got rid of the SM Bus, I couldn't find the other item I was looking for. I think it is Raid Controllers. Any help is appreciated. I feel like an idiot right now. :whistling: Thanks