Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can not load PBR for Descriptor 2 - No boot - No Safemode

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
This is a Dell machine - they have 3 partitions - the second partition is the XP install. This is where the partition boot record is messed up. Dell tells me to reformat and reinstall windows. I'm not doing this until I get my files.

I have done a "fixboot" but did not help.

I have used some cheap file recovery programs, and I can see my data, but it is either corrupt or not transferrable. Does anyone recommend a particular file recovery program. A Windows version would be great. A free version would be even better.

Advertisements

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Found and used File Scavenger - worked well. Free version is very limited, paid for full version