Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

things that are supposed to open in another window don't open at a

• Please log in to reply

icyprincess77

icyprincess77

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello there...

I've had my computer for about a year and a half now, and ever since I've gotten it, there's been this small problem. On certain pages where I KNOW links are supposed to be opening in separate windows - nothing happens. I click a link, and I don't get an hourglass, a pop up, anything. This only happens on a few rare cases, but it's annoying and I'd like to finally fix it.

On these pages, in the status bar when I hover over it, it says "java script:;"
That is kind of leading me to think it might be a javascript error, but I have no clue. Happens on both IE and firefox

things suggested/already tried:
1. Yes, javascript is enabled. On both browsers.
2. I've cleared my cache
3. I've cleared my cookies
4. I've defragmented my drives
5. And, I've even paid for a registry cleaner (regcure)

...and there is no improvement. Tips?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, icyprincess77.

I'll just ask the obvious question: Do you have Java installed and is it the most current version? In Add/Remove Programs, it should be listed as J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11. You can download it here.

You might try uninstalling the version(s) you have at present, and installing the newest version.

Once it's installed, open Internet Explorer, click Tools menu, Internet Options, Advanced tab. Browse down the list to Java. Are all the Java boxes checked?

Also, check Internet Options, Privacy tab, Block Pop-Ups. Is that checked or not?

Do you have any other Pop-Up Blocker installed?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Does it work when you right click and choose "open in new window"?
Johanna

icyprincess77

icyprincess77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi, icyprincess77.

I'll just ask the obvious question: Do you have Java installed and is it the most current version? In Add/Remove Programs, it should be listed as J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11. You can download it here.

You might try uninstalling the version(s) you have at present, and installing the newest version.

Once it's installed, open Internet Explorer, click Tools menu, Internet Options, Advanced tab. Browse down the list to Java. Are all the Java boxes checked?

Also, check Internet Options, Privacy tab, Block Pop-Ups. Is that checked or not?

Do you have any other Pop-Up Blocker installed?

I just use the pop up blocker I get with firefox. I disabled it and tried to open again but I got the same result.

I do have the J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11. I also have updates 6, 8, 9, and 10 listed there. Should I remove those? I've also got J2SE Development Kit Update 8. I don't know what that is though... :whistling:

In IE I have Use JRE 1.5.0_11 clicked, but that's the only box there under Java.

I've turned off the pop up blockers, and I tried adding the site the safe list...no change.

Does it work when you right click and choose "open in new window"?
Johanna

No. The place where the url is supposed to be just says "java script:;"

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here are some additional things to look at and try.

Google group thread - chocked full of suggestions to fix a java script error
http://groups.google...a32d178fbd1ad1d

IEFix tool
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Please post back what you try and what the results are for each.