Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help!

• Please log in to reply

cgocifer

cgocifer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys, I have a serious problem that I'm sure has been posted on here hundreds of times, but here goes:

I push the start button and I can hear the PC begin the start cycle, but then it just stops and nothing happens. The power light and fan stays running, but no start up. So, I know its not the power unit, what do you think is going on? Fried mother board? The computer worked fine about 2 months ago when I left for work. It was off the entire time, now this is going on.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Does anything appear on the screen?

What kind of computer name, model and model number?

Rick

cgocifer

cgocifer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. No, the screen doesn't come on, and there is no sound from the unit, just a green power light and the fan. It is a HP 503v.

cgocifer

cgocifer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
C'mon guys, a little help here...

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hmm strange cmos needs resetting possibly this the easiest way to do this is just to unplug the power from the pc and then remove the battary and leave it for a day put battary back in power see if this helps, in the mean time ill have a think and check to see if this problem is common around that model sorry not to have been so much help but will repost at later date when i have looked into it more.

cgocifer

cgocifer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I appreciate it. Pardon my ignorance, but where and how do I remove the battery? It is a desk top.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Remove the case cover the battery will be on the motherboard it will look like a oversized watch battery.

Caution make sure you discharge yourself from static electricity by touching a metal object (the case) before touching anything inside.

Try putting your hp restore d*** in or any boot disk and hit the reset button to see if it will boot.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One more simple thing I can think of is to make sure there is no floppy left in the drive this usually produces a error but ya never know.

I went on the hp website and could not find model 503v

Rick

cgocifer

cgocifer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks,

There's no disc in it, but where is the reset? I've looked for it, and can't seem to find it. Should I just remove the battery?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yehs just battary id leave it out for a day as im not sure how long it takes to loose it in our days use to be a day so cant go wrong that way.

cgocifer

cgocifer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I'll try it.