Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System taking up CPU

• Please log in to reply

Famoustar

Famoustar

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was redirected here from http://www.geekstogo...s...148842&st=0. My "System" task in the tasklist is constantly takup up 27-35% cpu, and I have seen my computer decrease in quality by atleast 60% over the past few months. What should I do? I constantly defrag and run malware scans.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
From Task Manager how many processes do you have running (Make sure box is checked to show processes from all users)? Try shutting down all the programs you are familiar with under the Startup tab (Start/Run and type in msconfig, click ok. ) Let me know if this helps.

Ron

Famoustar

Famoustar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
ATM, I only have 3 startup items, and I have 26 procceses on now. When I end all the procceses that http://www.answersth...es/tasklist.htm says aren't neccessary 20 (including firefox and taskmgr). There wasn't much of a difference, so yeah.

ALSO- System only goes down if I leave it on for 10 hours or so (its down now)

Thanks for the help.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Sysinternals free Process Explorer will help in examining what is going on: http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx (Download link at bottom of page)
No installation required. If you save to Desktop, it's just a double click. When configured in "View" to "show process tree," it will reveal what is going on under "System." Note especially "Interrupts." Often this results from hardware, if high, and can be caused by faulty/improper drivers as well as actual hardware malfunction. Note: A double click on any process entry in the Process Explorer will bring up a "Properties" dialog with even more options. Perhaps this will help to identify what is responsible.

Famoustar

Famoustar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
My show proccess tree under view is disabled (grayed out)

Edited by Famoustar, 24 March 2007 - 10:39 AM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Another way is to click the main column head-Processes. That should switch to a "tree" view also. "Interrupts " shows either way. Will it sort by clicking on the column head for CPU Time?

Famoustar

Famoustar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Is this what it's supposed to look like?

Posted Image

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Yes. Try adding "CPU Time" from View >Select Columns. The "bumpy" lower right corner will allow you to stretch the whole thing to the size you like.

Famoustar

Famoustar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Posted Image

Is that it? If so, what should I do now?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Click the first column header "Processes" once. This will sort out of the tree view. Then click the header for CPU Time a couple of times until "System Idle Process" sorts to the top. Now you will see which processes are taking up time on the processor. Curiously, your "System" process does not show high activity in the session the image is reporting. Over all, it shows that your computer had been on for about six and a half hours. In that time "System" had been active for only 18 cumulative minutes or so. Deferred Procedure Calls amounted to almost as much--17+ minutes. This seems high to me, but I'll need to do some research. Interrupts (hardware) is listed at only 56 seconds in over six hours. I don't think that has anything to do with it.

All this hasn't been about the "System Idle" process, has it? System Idle should be high. That's what is left over after everything else. It's only a concern when it's very low, and then something else is hogging the processor. Post back a shot of Process Explorer after sorting the processes. That will be even clearer.

Famoustar

Famoustar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Sorry it took long to post back, I went on vacation. I was talking about my regular system proccess, which randomly takes up 30% and usually lasts for very long untill it eventually stops. But then again, that might not be the problem. I'm just looking for a fix for my computer, ATM I can't even play any video games whatsoever.

Posted Image

Thanks!

Also, I think I should tackle something else while I'm here. My computer time someitmes (acually very often) slows down by a few seconds/minute and eventually gets off every day. Sometimes it won't move for a full minute. What should I do?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The time issue is your Motherboard battery. It's a dime sized battery usually clipped into the board. It should be replaced. If you do it yourself, be very careful to ground yourself out against some bare metal to avoid any static electricity. Please be aware that your BIOS settings will likely return to default status. If you have made changes there go back in and check. In addition to time, the mobo battery maintains CMOS.

I don't really see any evidence of high CPU usage in the system processes. (pink) Both Interrupts (hardware issues) and Deferred Procedure Calls seem a little high against the time since boot, but I don't know your system. You may discover that although it was not active at the time of your screenshot, CTF Loader may be acting up. If you don't use the language switching function or the languages toolbar, just turn it off: Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>Languages>Details>Advanced, and check the box that says "Turn off advanced text services." If that creates problems, go back and turn it back on. Ctfmon can use a lot of CPU time.

It will be interesting to see what results from replacing the battery. Timekeeping will correct, but perhaps other things as well. In the meantime, have you ever done anything about your "Services?" Good information here: http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm If you have doubt about how to set a service, use "Manual." That way the system can start it if necessary, but it won't just start at boot and run continuously. As I'm sure you know, Services appear under svchost, and are included in the "System" tree. Some of them may be resposible for your symptoms.