Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Mapped Drives Running SLOWLY


  • Please log in to reply

#1
magusbuckley

magusbuckley

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

We recently moved data from one server on our domain to another. That was yesterday afternoon. This morning, I remapped my drives to the new server and moved "My Documents" to the new location. Now, everything is running very slowly.

At first, I thought I was having a problem with Microsoft Word because the document I was trying to open locked up and caused Word to report "Not Responding". To fix it, I downloaded my office updates (3 in all). I was still having problems. As my next test, I created a word document on my HD. When I opened that document, I didn't have any problems. Now, of course, I've ruled out Microsoft Word as the Culprit of my problems. The mapped drive must be to blame, right?

I tried opening another Word Document and let it sit to see what happens. The document appeared immediately, but the curser didn't blink and Word was frozen. When I clicked in the document, Word again reported that it was "Not Responding". I let it sit.....being patient....a little longer. Finally, the curser started flashing and I was ready to edit the document. As another test, I tried opening an Excel Spreadsheet and got the same results. The data Spreadsheet opened immediately, but I was unable to edit anything for about three mintues!!

I've checked the settings on the server and don't see anything funny there. The drives are mapped correctly on the local machine so I'm now confused.

Oh, another thing I did that took too long. I had a shortcut on my desktop to a folder I use frequently. It was pointing to the old server. I deleted the shortcut and recreated it. That process, however, took way too long. After navigating to the folder, I clicked "Apply" so Windows could store the path to the target folder for the shortcut. It froze, again for about two or three mintues, and then finally put the shortcut on my desktop.

Anyone have any clue how this could be happening? I've rebooted the local machine twice (warm and cold).

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
magusbuckley

magusbuckley

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Update:

Things I've tried...

I found some instructions online at various web sites describing how to fix my problem. So far, none of them have worked.

1. Repair Network Connection
2. Delete all connections in "My Network Places"
3. Well, there was this registry edit that didn't do anything.
4. Using MSCONFIG, disabled all Startup Applications to make sure none were trying to connect to the old server
5. Cold Boot
6. Update Microsoft Office
7. Update Winows XP Pro
8. Update Hardware Driver for the NIC Card
9. Disable Firewall and Real Time Virus Scan (Symantec monitores on another server)

If no one is able to help me soon, I'll most likely have to format this computer and start from scratch. It's my work PC, I'm in IT, and I can't work all day waiting two minutes every time I open, save, or print a file. I need to end this soon.

I realize it's strange because none of our IT staff can figure it out. I've asked a buddy of mine, also in IT, and he can't come up with anything. And this, Geeks To Go, is my last resort. This post has been up for a few days now so I know I've got a very unique situation if none of you have anything to add to this.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Magus

Edited by magusbuckley, 25 March 2007 - 03:10 PM.

  • 0

#3
magusbuckley

magusbuckley

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello To All:

I finally fixed my computer at work. On my Friday (that's Tuesday for the rest of you), I had decided I would restore my computer and start over from scratch. I was tired of fooling with this issue and couldn't continue to do my work with 2 minute response times.

This morning, I sat down with intentions of doing just that. At the last second, I decided to have a look at the registry. That's when it hit me. I replaced all instances of "BTMAIL\Infotech" (the old location) with "BTAPPSERVER\Infotech" (the new location). It took me a grueling 45 minutes to complete this process. The two main applications using these entries were Explorer and Picasa 2.

After the changes were applied, I rebooted and all is well again. Just thought I'd let you know in case you all ever have anything like this come up. Now that I think about it though, the resolution seemed simple enough. I'm not sure why we couldn't think of this sooner.

Thanks,

Magus
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP