Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need 2 ethernet cables?

• Please log in to reply

spakasi

spakasi

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
i bought a dlink router today and i tried to connect to my computer but when i put the instalation cd in it said i needed two ethernet wires one to go in the back of the modem and into the router and one to go into the back of the pc but it only came with one ethernet wire and in the box it said that we would only need one to conect the router to the modem. i tried to connect it using just the one ethernet wire but it wouldnt work so i looked on the website and that didnt help me either and it only came witha one page instruction booklet and that doesnt help either. so could you please help before i go insane
thx

Advertisements

spakasi

spakasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
?????????????????????????????????????????????

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
From what you said, I take it that the router you have is a "wired" and not "wireless" router. You will need two ethernet cables. One from PC to router (any of the input ports) and one from the "WAN" output to the modem. Don't know why you're doing this unless you are connecting more than one PC to router. Cable lengths will have to be considered if you need space between PC setups.

Ron

spakasi

spakasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
no it is a wireless router! it came with a usb connecter to go into my other computer. that is connected but the router isnt connecting to the other computer

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Then you have two PC. One connecting in a Wired connection and the other using a Wireless card????

Ron

spakasi

spakasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yes but the router is not connecting to the computer to send out a signal to the usb connection on my other pc. The router only came with one ethernet wire and when i tried to install it, it said that i needed two wires. In the shop that i bought it from they said that it would be able to plug straight into my modem but according to the instalation cd it cannot it has to be plugged into the pc aswell but if that was the case then wouldnt they have supplied two wires? because it never said we would need to purchase addictional wires to connect it also the shop assistant only said that we would only need the stuff that was in the box!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to connect your network.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Unless both PCs have a wireless card in them, you will need ethernet cables, but that defeats the purpose of the wireless router. The only cable you would need is the one in the box. BUT, you have to have wireless cards installed in your PCs. Do you or do you not have them installed? In one or both PCs?

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 March 2007 - 11:40 PM.