Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell XPS(1st generation) gaming laptop dead?

• Please log in to reply

Geordo

Geordo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay. i posted way back when, i've had more problems than i'd like to admit with my dell. but i'll explain the problems first.

my laptop turned itself into a desktop as it would not charge its battery and alweays gave me warning about the charger not being the correct one etc* and one day i heard pop and it turned off. almost like it over heated (a HUGE problem i'd had with this particular laptop) only problem is, it would not turn back on.

* i contacted dell about the charging issue and they gave me hokey instructions with voodoo and garlic to get it to recognize it, very band-aid ish.

now. after the big meltdown, i removed my laptop's fans (easily removed for routine maintenance) and vacuumed the heat sink(spelling?) and fans. for the record they were disgustingly dirty, fluff and what appeared to me to be tar from cigarette smoke (my roomates smoke two floors down). ANYWAYS, this seemingly did nothing, so i literally ripped my laptop apart and sprayed out (compressed air and silicon safe contact cleaner) anything that looked like dirt, fluff or tar. i got down to the inner fan for the cpu and video card and cleaned it spotless (it aswell was very very dirty) but when i put it all back together (with no leftover parts!) it still wouldn't run. **kinda** at that point i could run it, as long as my power supply isn't plugged in. and then my battery won't charge.

i heeded advice from dell tech's (sidenote my laptop isn't under warranty anymore BUT i still have 24 payments...) and the local computer geek king, and purchased a new power supply from dell. I recieved said power supply today. and. no dice. no worky. i'm getting really fed up. i've noticed this site is more aimed towards software help, but if anyone has any ideas short of me throwing my laptop off of a cliff, reply or give me a shout.

specs for my computer are:
dell XPS gaming laptop (1st generation)
3.44ghz p4 processor with hyper threading
256mb radeon 9800 pro
1gb ram
100gb hard drive
windows xp SP2
150w power supply
two lithium ion (one stock, one spare [both yield the same problems]) also neither battery is involved in the massive lithium ion recall

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
My guess is the incompatible charger/power supply unit has done some serious internal damage to the laptop's components --- possibly repairable by a qualified technician assuming you can afford it.

Geordo

Geordo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i really hope nothing else is fried. the power supply is the one i got with my laptop when i bought it, so other than a 'warranty-over, initiate self destruct sequence' type thing with the power supply, i can't fathom it just randomly cooking components . i'm starting to think about the motherboard, and well, at around $600 canadian not including installation, i think i'm better off buying a cheap-o computer. i'm avoiding a rant against dell here, but between financing and poor timing, this laptop will cost around $7000 when i'm done paying for it. and that isn't including the (possible) costs of repairing it.

OH! another thing, on dell forums, i found some criptic info about doing some POST (power on self test) tests to see if i could single out a problem component. sound like a good idea, but... i'm not completely sure what this 'POST' is to be exact.