Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

word does not open, also target word doc too

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, I am helping friend here,

ystem french XP home, cd legit office xp pro ver 2002

problem: word does not open, also target word doc too

steps taken:
unintalled from appwiz.cpl, also removed remaining folder from programs, and run a reg cleaner to make sure that all traces were gone,
reinstalled office compleat, but still, although all the others office programs work, office doesn't open, nor will any word target doc.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, fleamailman.

If I understand your issue, Word will not open, nor can you open any Word file by double-clicking it. Is that correct? If not, please explain again.

Are you getting any errors on screen, or what exactly happens when you try to open Word.

Please check the Event Viewer. To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer. On the left side of the screen are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any events that are listed as Warnings or Errors, that also have a date and time that correspond to the error. Once you have an event open, you can click the "copy to clipboard" icon (just below the down arrow) to copy the error text, then you can paste it in a reply to this thread.

Has Word ever functioned properly on this machine? If so, how long ago - perhaps a System Restore will set things back to right. If not recently or System Restore is out of the question, what might have happened between then and now?

Which program is currently registered to open .DOC files? Open My Computer, Tools menu, Folder Options, File Type. Scroll to DOC. What is shown?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks for the quick reply, I have solved the problem in that I created a new account with admin rights and then transfered everything to that account followed by deleting the corupted account, all probably not the best way to solves this type of problem but all is working fine now, thanks.