Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Software to COMPLETELY erase files.

• Please log in to reply

MrMonkey

MrMonkey

• Pip
  • 7 posts
From what I understand, when you erase files from the Recycle Bin, they are not REALLY deleted...rather the computer cannot find them without much assistance.

From all your guys' experience, is there a free download that will overwrite all my deleted files so that they are COMPLETELY unrecoverable? I have much private information on this computer and I don't want anyone else to see it. Thanks a lot!!!

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi MrMonkey. Welcome to G2G. I use Clean Space 9 works fine for me.
Try Clean Space 10.0769 this should do the job you are looking for.

http://www.softpedia...ean-Space.shtml :whistling:

sorry it is not free its shareware

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 23 March 2007 - 08:20 PM.

MrMonkey

MrMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks a lot for the great (and quick!) help. One last question: Will this program be able to delete my non-internet files (word files etc.) that I've already deleted that have private info? Thanks a lot!!!

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
yes and it will do alot more, go to the site and read about it.
I think you love it I know I will not run my laptop without it. :whistling:

MrMonkey

MrMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I appreciate your help; you were very nice in sending me that link and it looks like a great program.

However...

I didn't realize that, until you buy it, all you can do is browse the program's features.

Does anybody know of a program similar to this that is 100% free? Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It has been said that there is no such thing as an unrecoverable file

ccleaner will wipe with 7 passes if set in options, try the slim build and use it instead of emptying the recycle bin, it can be set to run at start up

http://www.ccleaner....oad/builds.aspx

If you use the registry scan for issues, always take the back up option

Common

Common

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
wait a minute...

so if i deleted my files to the recycle bin THEN i emptied it would it still be on my computer or wiped out for good?

I have some "private" files too :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you choose delete then empty the bin, they are easy to recover, if you send them to the recycle bin and use ccleaner to empty the recycle bin with the 7 pass option, they are harder to recover

If you delete a file someone would need to look for all deleted files with a recovery programme, unlikely to be a problem unless you are up against a government agency

MrMonkey

MrMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Not to try to contradict you, Keith, but I do believe that if a file is overwritten, it is permanently unrecoverable. So what I'm looking for is a program that will overwrite all my deleted files.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When a file is deleted, it is removed from the file system. However, the actual data is not erased. The directory entry that contains the file name, and which points to the list of clusters on the disk, is simply marked to show it is no longer valid. Right after a file is deleted, nearly all of the information about it, including most of the filename, and the list of clusters that contain the data, still exists.

I have software which recovers data from drives which have been formatted

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hello MrMonkey,

There is a tool made from the same guys that made ccleaner but it is still in BETA, this is a freeware utility for restoring files that have been accidentally deleted, including files emptied from the Recycle bin. But as i said it is still in BETA, you can read more here http://www.recuva.com/

Regards,