Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows crashing multiple times

• Please log in to reply

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
My cpu crashed a few nights ago where my screen went black and I couldn't shut it down, the power button was flashing. I tried to hold the button several times but it didn't work. After half an hour I decided to turn of my power strip. The cpu was blowing some warm air out of the back. I waited until the next day to restart it. I have scanned for viruses with my own Kapersky and online checks, and used several sypware scanners. Nothing has shown up. I thought maybe update my drivers and check microsoft update. Just the regular stuff. I found some drivers by googling my video & audio driver. I restarted and it worked fine for a day. The next day it was on for 20 minutes, I can't remember what I was doing, I think listening to music with MediaMonkey. I got a frequency out of range message on the monitor and had to manually shut it down to restart.
I have backed everything up and have a boot disk, just in case. I bought my cpu from Best Buy and it didn't come with a Windows installation cd. I have a E-Machines T6410 w/ 1 gb ram, 3200+ AMD Athalon 64 processor, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics card. If I can give any more info let me know. Oh yeah, I'm also having audio problems with it slowing down and sounding choppy when I'm on the internet. I know someone here can help me, you have twice. Thanks.

Edited by kingofny.hova, 23 March 2007 - 08:52 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Out of range can be if the screen resolution is too high, re-install the video card software if you have it

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks for the reply...working on this. I will have to stop for the basketball games though and will work on it again this evening. I had another problem. This morning when I started the cpu it had a message about a missing or corrupt \windos\system32\config\sytem file. I got it on somehow, but I don't want to restart yet. But it looks like I have to. Let you know later tonight how everything goes. Thanks again.

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I did what you said and chkdsk had an error and deleted a bunch of duplicate files. It said something like deleting an index entry from index $o of file 25. I got another frequency out of range message and I restarted it. Everytime I restart my cpu it says I need to install VGA but it can't find the files. I try Microsoft Update but can't find anything. I also ran Spybot S&D and saw an extra startup item - KernalFaultCheck - system32\dumprepO-k . Everything else ran okay. I have no idea what all this means. Do I need to reinstall windows or use my recovery disk? Will that help me if its a hardware problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To do with the video card (VGA)

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
This is the site for the downloading the driver. http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html It's the same one I was on last week when I updated this thing. I feel like this is what did it. If you could I would appreciate you showing me the right one to get.

Video Adapter ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RS480)

3D Accelerator ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RS480)

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get a software CD for the ATI Card?

Did you install .net framework

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
No I did not get a cd. All OEM.
I have .net 1.1, 1.1 hotfix, 2.0 & 3.0. Seems like alot. Do I need all of these?

Edited by kingofny.hova, 25 March 2007 - 01:53 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For different things, yes

From your ATI link, click XP Home, Radeon, X300

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Do I need the whole suite or just the driver?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install the suite

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I got the driver installed. My mouse scroll wheel works better for some reason now. When I restarted it went to chkdsk again and deleted the same stuff and had an error.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

At the command prompt type fsutil dirty query c: (or the relevant drive letter). This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

Reboot, it should load to the desktop

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

Type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

This should take you through the 5 stages of the scan and will unset the dirty bit.

At a command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I did all of this, but I had more errors the fsutil had no response or message and chkdsk deleted more, had corrupt files, said it did not have enough memory, then it finished.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get this now?

At a command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive