Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to allocate Video memory on Laptop

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Nvidia 6150 graphics with 256 MB Ram - Vista Business

My display settings state:

Total Available Graphics Memory - 271 MB
Dedicated Video Memory - 32MB
System Video Memory - 0MB
Shared System Memory - 239MB

The BIOS does not allow me to set a minimum. It simply states that the PC will dynamically change the settings as needed. I have a gig of RAM and would like to be able to set my own minimum. There is also no setting in the Nvidia control panel. Any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
memory sharing is set in the BIOS, not in Windows, so if the BIOS setting does not allow it to be changed there's nothing you can do to override it. A BIOS update may address the issue but dynamic adjustment is not a bad thing anyway. It ensures your memory is always shared at the optimum level for whatever you're doing at the time instead of being wasted on graphics when it may not be needed there.