Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

sososick

sososick

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello

How do you know if your computer has a DVD writer? I believe mine does, but i don't wana buy a 100 DVDr pack then discover it doesn't.

Speaking of DVDrs, what's the difference between DVD+r and -r ?? Which is better? And which should i buy if BOTH are the exact same price?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well the first thing to look at is weather the actual drive itself has the word DVD Rewritable actually printed on it, if not, then you can look at the device manager under CD/DVD drives and see what your drive is listed as, it will say there. And as for your question about the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R. They are simply different formats, you should only get the type that your drive supports since thats the only type that will work for you. The main difference between the two is that DVD+R is generally used for and is more compatable with home DVD players, where as you would GENERALLY use DVD-R for data storage or a movie that you will be accessing primarily from your computer.

--Chris

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well i want to buy DVDrs because i want to burn some data off my computer, PLUS burn movies to play on my DVD player. I'm confused *shrugs*

Scott3344

Scott3344

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Even if you don't have a DVD writer, if you have space for an additional optical drive in your computer and feel comfortable installing it, you can pick one up for about $30.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I checked the driver and it's a DVD writer, now i'm confused about DVD+r and -r.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
And i just discovered my DVD writer writes both + and -

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I would recommend using DVD+r's because if you going to playing them on a home dvd player then those are traditionally the most compatible with home dvd players. And no worries you can still use them to burn data and other things from your computer just as well.

--Chris