Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NEED HELP FOR SHARING INTERNET CONNECTION

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well my problem is im trying to share a single internet connection between 3 computers. Do i have to setup a network? i have a hub and i have got one computer going but im having trouble with the other two!I thought that it may be as simple as plugging in the my network wire into the hub is there something im missing?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi neo Rip
1) are you using a hub or switch (does not really matter)
2)are all machines XP
3))plug modem into hub have a look on the back of the hub on some models it depends on which port you plug the modem into.
4)plug other 2 computers in to hub start fire fox or IE do they connect to www. if not then run the network wizzard.
Go start>control panel double click on network connection click on setup home network

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I am using a switch, i connected my router to the switch and then plugged in the computer that originally had the internet connection in to the switch too and the internet is working fine on that computer. But when i plugged in the next computer to the switch for some reason it kept saying that something in the network is still unplugged?and it keeps trying to connect but it keeps failing!any ideas why its doing that?

thanks for the help!!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
did you run network set up on the seond computer
You have not plugged in to the uplink have you - try another port

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
What is in blue is what you type what is in red is what you do
1)Also do you have all the computers set for DHCP
2)do you know how to do this or would you like a hand
3) on the computer that works Click start>run cmd ok
this will open the command promt at the prompt ipconfig /all enter (note the space between ipconfig and /)
Write down the ip address also do this on the second computer and write down the ip address
Post them to me please.
Cheers
Peterm

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well actually the problem was the hub so i decided to get a dlink dsl-604T that has 4 ports.

I connected all the computers to the router and ran the network setup wizard on the host computer but when i picked the option that this computer is hooked directly to the net it gives me an error messege saying,

"Other computers cannot connect to the Internet through this computer.
In addition to its Internet connection, this computer must have a connection to your network."

So now im thinking is the old network interferring with this new one?

Please Help!!

Edited by Neo_RiP, 30 March 2007 - 01:47 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Neo Rip
Could you please tell me what country you are in, If you do not want this as common knowledge send it to me in a pm.
The reason I ask is dlink firmware is different between countries.
This is a wirless router but I am guessing you are using it as a wired network.
Ok you should have the telephone plugged into the adsl port on the router.
on computer 1 go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig /all (note the space between ipconfig and /)
What do you get as ip, subnet mask and gateway.
We need to unplug all but 1 computer from the router.
The first time you setup the Router it is recommended that you configure the WAN connection using a single computer making sure that both the computer and the Router are not connected to the LAN. Once the WAN connection is functioning properly you may continue to make changes to the Router configuration including the IP settings. This chapter is concerned with using your computer to configure the WAN connection. The following chapter describes the various menus used to configure and monitor the Router including how to change IP settings. This chapter discusses the steps to first establish the WAN connection. The remaining features, not directly concerned with establishing the initial connection, are explained in Chapter 4, Web-based Management. It is recommended that you install and configure the Router using one non-networked computer. This allows you to verify that the ADSL service is functioning and that you are able to communicate with the device.
Did you go into the router and use the setup wizard to connect to your ISP provider?
As this is now your modem and needs to be set to talk to your ISP as was your original modem.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 31 March 2007 - 02:05 AM.