Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE\SETUP\Offi97Pro.S

• Please log in to reply

familyownedcleaningco

familyownedcleaningco

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: Thanks in advance,
I'm seeing the screen for Word but nothing else follows. The hourglass remains until I restart my computer. If I go to Start,Run,winword.exe /a enter Word starts up like it should except you can't access any files. I've renamed Normal.dot and will need to copy a file called Winword2k.dot and "save target as" from Symantec but I can't find the file anywhere. Then save it in Word's Startup folder. Do you think this will fix the problem and if so, do you have a better way of finding Winword2k.dot? Also, where do I find the Word's Startup Folder? The above information was given to me from another newsgroup.. HELP ME IF YOU CAN, IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.. I've BEEN ON THIS FOR 4 DAYS NOW!!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi familyownedcleaningco. Welcome to Geeks to Go.

I don't understand what all's going on with your system. Your thread title states Office97 and Works Suite, but you only mention Word specifically in the thread body. And you mention saving Symantec's startup template. It's obvious you've got a bad add-in. Are you sure it's Symantec?

Here are the possible Startup folder locations for Word.

Ms-Word 97: ...Program files/Microsoft Office/Office/Startup

Windows 2000: ...Documents and settings/User name/Application data/Microsoft/Word/Startup

Windows XP: ...Documents and settings/User name/Application data/Microsoft/Word/Startup

Please post the resuts.

D. Brown

D. Brown

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Do you have Microsoft Works Suite 2005 and Office 97 Pro both loaded on your computer? If you have two versions of Word loaded that will cause problems with your system. Windows gets confused with updates and it makes things messy.

I had Microsoft Works with Word 2002 loaded once. I uninstalled Works and left Word 2002 on for a year or so. Then later I installed Office XP (2002) and thought that Word would overwrite the other Word 2002 but it didn't. I don't know why. But anyway it definitely happened because when I had problems (long story) and decided to install and reinstall Word, I unstalled but it was still there but the icon was in a different place in the Start/Programs menu and it ran.

It caused Windows to become buggy. I did several things but the thing that helped the most was running a Registry Cleaner after getting the extra Word off there.

I don't know if that's your problem because I'm not clear whether you have both loaded or not. But I do know for a fact that two of the same office programs will mess things up. I'm a medical transcriptionist and it's been discussed on other forums.