Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Two Computers

• Please log in to reply

Christopss

Christopss

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
How would I network two computer using Ethernet? can i do it and do i need any programs to transfer work? Would it be like networking an xbox to a computer because it can do that.

I looked at the Home Networking Tutorial and I don’t quite get it.

Edited by Christopss, 24 March 2007 - 05:50 AM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You have two ways of doing this. Your best option is to buy a wired router, and connect the Ethernet cords into that. There will be some setting-up to do, but the manufacturers do a pretty good job with guided installations today. Your second option which isn't the best (but not the worst) option is to run a crossover cable. This would directly connect the computer to the other system. There would probably be some kind of setup to follow, however, I'm sure it would be from getting the other system to recognize this other one. The tutorial you read assumes that you have things connected and are ready to go.

Christopss

Christopss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
ok thank you for that

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You're very welcome. Will you be purchasing a router then? I suggest going that route. Anything else I can do for you?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Hi christopps
If you buy a cross over cable - must be cross over.
Then you go to my network places make sure that tcpip client and microsoft network client are installed and
we then assign static ip address. If you want to try this let me know.
Cheers
Peterm