Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't uninstall AOL

• Please log in to reply

pj1959us

pj1959us

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, hope you can ;) me...I have been trying to uninstall AOL 8.0 on my Windows XP. The AOL installed when my son added AOL IM to this computer (I'm assuming...I never had it before).

When I try to uninstall through Control Panel, the uninstall window comes up, but then just freezes and won't ever do anything. I have to finally end it through Task Manager to get rid of it. I don't see an Uninstall available when looking at America Online on the Programs file. I haven't tried uninstalling AOL IM by itself yet. I was hoping it would be removed when I got rid of AOL...does it have to be removed individually?

I have McAfee Firewall Plus and the AOL program just keeps showing Allow Full Access whenever I restart (even though I am continually blocking it). How is it sneaking through? ;)

Any other ways to get rid of this? :tazz:

Thanks for any advice.

PJ

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Move On Boot usually lets you remove files

Move on Boot

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok, I tried to download that, but at the end of the installation, I received a window stating,
WINDOWS INSTALLER
The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Any ideas on what happened? It seemed to go through the motions fine otherwise.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not had anyone say that before, you could try downloading it again or click start then run then type msconfig then press enter then press start up then remove ticks fromanything AOL then press apply and reboot then tick do not start config when it gets to desktop.

Then get CCleaner and run cleaner then press issues then scan for issues then tick all boxes then fix selected issues, make back up then press fix all selected issues then OK then close, run scan for issues until no issues show, press tools then scroll through for anything AOL and run uninstaller do a reboot if it needs it then run scan for issues to check

CCleaner

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I tried installing the Move On Boot again and got the same thing, so not sure what the deal is. :tazz:

Went through the steps in your last reply. I only found AOL in the WIN.INI tab...should I see AOL anywhere else?

After downloading the CCleaner, when scanning for issues after going through the steps a few times, two ActiveX/Com issues keep coming up with ADP.URLcatcher. It seems to fix the issue but just keeps repeating them as issues when scanning again.

I tried to use Tools anyway, and uninstall AOL...yep, it froze and had to End Task again. ;)

Hey, I did get rid of a LOT of c**p though! :) ;)

Any other suggestions? I appreciate your help!!!! :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you run the scan then press fix then make back up then press fix all selected issues then OK and then close, they should not show again

If AOL is starting then it should be in start up

adp.exe is loaded with limewire kazaa cydoor grokster not sure if they are similar

X-Cleaner gets rid of a few things

X-Cleaner

Do you run spyware scans, if not, scroll through list to get ad-aware se, spybot and spywareblaster, update before running and use imminize with spybot

List

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I went through several scans...it went from LOTS to a few, then a few again, and now the past three times the ADP.URLcatcher just keeps showing up...even though it supposedly fixes them. :tazz:

I couldn't see any AOL in startup at all...only in the one tab. It has to be working at start-up though, but can't figure out how it keeps allowing itself on my Firewall.

I'll try the Xcleaner and look at the other you mentioned. I did get Aluria recently because of some popups, etc, but not sure how impressed I am with it. It has cleaned up a few things but have had some other problems with it and not overly happy with the program. My computer seems to be working fine, overall, it just grinds my gristle that I can't get this stupid AOL off of it!!!

Thanks for your help, anyway...guess I'll have to learn to live with it if your recent suggestions don't work!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
adp.urlcatcher is a trojan, you need to scroll through to maual removal and it does not look quick

Trojan

Whether A2 free will deal with it I do not know but it's worth a go

A2 Free

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry for this really stupid question, but how do I delete the registry entries mentioned in the removal information? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run then type regedit then press enter, click + next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and then scroll through the .aaa through .zzz until it goes alphabetically, look specifically for the ones in the list then delete, for the CLSID click + then remove the exact entries

Same thing for HKEY_LOCAL scroll through until it is alphabetical then keep pressing + when you get to each one and so on until you get to the exact key

Best to print the list then tick them against those removed.

With the registry make sure you remove the exact ones

Advertisements

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, there....

I got to the area you referred to but cannot find ANY of the items shown on the Issues log. There are no .aaa thru .zzz items shown that coincide with what I am seeing, don't see anything familiar in the CLSID, or under the HKEY_LOCAL.

On the Issues log, they are showing up as ADP.UrlCatcher & ADP.UrlCatcher.1 with {F4E04583-3543-4076-BE7D-ED6A80FD660A} appearing after each.

What am I missing? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry if I was unclear, I meant you to ignore the first listings which have a dot in front until you get to the alpabetical ones eg A3d

If you print the list then check through and remove anything you find that's all you can do, I will have alook for other sites which have instructions

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ah, ok, sorry ;)

Under the Root, I did find the exact ADP listings shown there, but still am not finding anything under Local....what am I looking for under there? The Registry Key under CCleaner just shows the HKCR...should that be the only place these are located?

I really appreciate your help and patience :tazz: I guess I've gotten a bit away from original inquiry! ;)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
According to this you press the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then the + next to software then the + next to classes, again, ignore all the ones with the dot in front then click the + next to clsid then look through the keys then still in this section, go down to interface and click the + to look through keys then go down to typelib and click the + to look through the keys there

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'll check all this out...thanks, Keith. You da man ;)

Now, get this AOL off my computer and you'll be my hero ;) :tazz: