Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

1st I couldnt Defrag, now I cant reformat either

• Please log in to reply

Matt C

Matt C

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm out of ideas. Ive tried for the last week to defrag my HDD, its around 30% fragmented at this point. I've tried 2 after market defrag programs and the standard one that comes with XP, and nothing seems to do anything.

So figuring I've got a ton of unwanted/unneeded stuff on my HDD anyhow I decided a reformat was in order, so I poped in my XP disk (which is real, not burned) made sure my BIOS was set to boot from CD and tried, but it kept going to the windows flash screen. After some testing I came to realize that between the first screen when I can hit delete to enter BIOS and the Windows XP splash screen my KB turns off, so when I get the "Hit any key to boot from CD" message, I cant hit a button. I've tried plugging my KB into the PS/2 slot, the motherboard USB slot and my USB2 pci card slot, and still nothing. Is there a way to prevent this powerdown so that I can boot from my CD or not?

I really need some help here, so if anyone has some ideas I would REALLY appreciate it.

Moved to the Hardware Forum

Edited by Fenor, 24 March 2007 - 08:11 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

What kind of Defrag error are you getting?

Normally, the only reason defrag won't run is because you have a corrupted file somewhere on the drive being defragged. You might try running chkdsk /r from Start/run command to see if windows finds anything. You will probably get a prompt asking if you would like chkdsk to run after the next boot... just confirm yes.

As for your keyboard, your post is a bit confusing, so I'm going to assume you have several different keyboards... a PS2, and a USB. Check your bios settings to ensure the keyboard is controlled by the bios and not the OS. Then try rebooting to see if you have access to the keyboard again. Also, what you can do is reset the bios to "default settings" to see if that will help. Note that you may have to change the boot order again to boot from the CD first.

Formatting is the last resort, so I'm guessing you already backed up your important files and things like bookmarks and such.